40. Can't be true.

Mrs. Steele's words broke through the stillness as I sat in the chair, a flood of horror pouring over me. Her tone was deceptively soft as she greeted me, "How are you doing, dear?"

My heart was pounding as I tried to think of a suitable reply. Mrs. Steele continued, in a tone laced with amusement, before I could say anything more. "You're scared, of course," she spoke, letting out a sarcastic chuckle. "I can see it written all over your face."

For all the cruelty in her remarks, Mrs. Steele's manner was unnervingly relaxed. She dropped a bombshell, and I found myself gasping for air.

"I'm glad you could attend the soirée I threw after I invited you. Knowing Liam he would've never invited you which is simply wrong of him." She smiled shocking me.

She was the one who invited me?!

Though a thousand ideas raced through my head, Mrs. Steele dropped another massive bombshell before I could digest any of them. "At least your not already weeping. I can't say the same for your friend when I injected drugs into her veins," and her statement chilled me to my core.

"She told me if she ever got out she'd get her revenge on me. I can't have that can we. But yet here you are looking like you're on the blink of passing out." Mrs. Steele says as if mocking me.

I was overcome with a sense of shock and dread, and I could feel a cold sweat rising as Mrs. Steele's words seemed to be taken straight out of a horror movie.

"Unfortunately, that girl is not dead," she continued, her tone chillingly matter-of-fact. "I'll have to send someone to finish the job. I've never once failed to eliminate a threat on the first attempt. It's quite sloppy of me, really."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Mrs. Steele was discussing Khloe's life as if it were nothing more than a inconvenience to be disposed of. Anger and despair welled up inside me as I struggled to comprehend the depth of her cruelty.

"And you should thank me, dear," Mrs. Steele added with a twisted smile. "If it weren't for my intervention, your name would have been dragged through the mud in the media. Consider it a dying favor."

The sheer audacity of her statement left me speechless. Mrs. Steele saw no issue with her actions, no remorse for the lives she had destroyed. In her twisted worldview, she was the arbiter of justice, and anyone who crossed her path was fair game.

Shaking my head in disbelief, I struggled to find words to respond. Mrs. Steele's nod of confirmation only served to deepen my horror. The realization that Khloe had endured such suffering at Mrs. Steele's hands left me speechless, my mind reeling with disbelief and despair.

Trembling in fear, I managed to force out the words, "What do you mean, I should thank you?"

She then remarked, "That's the first time you've spoken since I got here."

"She wanted to destroy your career, to see you punished and humiliated by the public for being with Liam," Mrs. Steele divulged, "So she went to a well-known news company and provided them with evidence of your affair."

My mind reeled as I struggled to comprehend the depth of Khloe's betrayal.

My chest tightened with anguish as Mrs. Steele continued, revealing how far Khloe was willing to go.

"Your so-called best friend sold you out for a measly fifty thousand dollars," Mrs. Steele stated coldly.

My world shattered as I grappled with the staggering betrayal of someone I had considered my closest friend. Tears blurred my vision as I shook my head in disbelief, unable to comprehend the depth of Khloe's deception.