Chapter 1

"There's an art exhibition tonight, perhaps we should go" My sister suggested.

"Ohl come on, you know arts not my thing, I would rather gallop around on my horse" I said selecting another book from the book shelf in the library.

"Yeah but I hear John Everett Millais, Fred Walters, Dante Gabriel Rossetti and William Holman Hunt will be there, in fact its some of their work that will be there" She said  flipping the page in her book.

"Well if Dante is going to be there, that may change my mind" I answered looking at myself in the mirror and rearranged one of the pins in my hair.

"Has someone got a crush on him?" Sophia mocked me.

"No" I said looking away and looking at the Grandfather clock.

"You do, you liar" She said and threw the pillow from the couch at me.

"Hey, you know mother doesn't like the furniture being thrown around" I reminded her and picked up the pillow and then hit her with it.

"Young lady what do you think you're doing?" Our mother asked as she stormed into the library.

"Nothing" I answered hiding the pillow behind my back and looking at the floor causing an auburn curl to fall into my eye.

"Now clear up, I don't want your father to see the mess in here" She told us.

"Yeah Sophia" I said throwing the cushion into her lap , then proceeding to walk out of the library.

"Er Josephine where are you going?" My mother demanded.

"For a ride" I replied in one word.

"You haven't cleaned your tack" She reminded me.

"Then I'll ride bareback" I replied waltzing out the door and to the stables, where my beautiful Friesian stallion stood, of course I needed a bridle which I took off the hook and then slipped onto my horses sleek face. There was an over turned bucket which I used to as a mount block and mounted onto my horses back, he kicked the stable door open and we galloped out and I was so glad that the barn door was open as he wouldn't have the strength to kick the doors down, we galloped onto the gravel drive of my families home and coming down the drive was my father in his carriage, which was being pulled by two light brown Suffolk Punches. I galloped towards them, spooking the horses making the horses abruptly stop and one rear up.

"Josephine!" My father yelled out of the window of the carriage, I galloped past making the sheep and cattle scatter as my horse advanced towards them but I created raucous as there was the neigh of the horses, sheep, cattle and my horses footfalls as we galloped. I then made a sharp turn down the cobbled street, jumping over a hay bale as it had fallen over a cart, the closer I got to the town the more I had to slow down and I soon got to walk, where I sat proudly on my horses back, I gazed around the town and I noticed there were posters for the art exhibition everywhere.

I soon got stuck behind a carriage, and the only way around was the pavement so I cantered onto it making people shriek and move out of my way. I just smiled and giggled as I over took and my horse joined me as he snorted, my horse kicked out at the carriage horses as he didn't like how close we were and ended up kicking mud up at the driver. "You irresponsible girl you will pay for that" He bellowed.

"You'll have to catch me first" I yelled. And what do you know the driver whipped the horses all that harder just to keep up with me, there was another sharp turn, my steed and I managed to clear it but the carriage toppled over onto its side, the harnesses broken on the horses and they galloped next to me. The driver waved his fist at me but all I did was slide around on my horse while he still galloped and I was now facing backwards on my horse and I tipped my hat to him, before sliding around again so I was facing the right way around again, the Suffolk Punches soon dropped back as they needed a drink at the river we were passing but my horse just kept galloping.

We were unstoppable. We were soon out of the town and back into the country lanes, where my steed was beginning to pant and foam at the mouth, but to make it worse there was a rain cloud following us. "Fine we'll take a break for little while" I told him riding to a river, I let the reins slip through my fingers as he dropped his head into the river.

The heavens then opened and let loose on the earth, both my horse and I were soaked and we had to make the return journey yet.