Chapter 2

So I tugged on the reins we turned around and I nudged my horse in the ribs, he galloped off and nearly slipped on the mud as we galloped across a field, of course the farmer wasn't happy about it and he began to chase me and he even had a rifle in his hand so I decided to make my horse gallop faster, we were soon nearing home as I saw our elegant manor house coming into view, I continued to scare the sheep and cattle as we approached and instead of using the normal entrance we jumped over the fence and landed in the courtyard, flicking gravel up as my horses feet hit the ground.

My mother and father were waiting on the porch with disappointment written across their faces. The stable boy braved the rain to come and take my horses reins, my poor horse was sweating and panting, but I patted his neck and then I walked inside. I looked at my reflection in the mirror of the hall, I was caked in mud from head to toe. "Go have a bath. Nelly will put the water in. If you keep acting like this we'll never get you married off to anyone" My mother sighed.

"No one can tame the wild horse with in me" I told her advancing up the steps, my mother just rolled her eyes, we walked into my chambers and there sat my copper bath that Nelly began to fill with hot water, I got in and then began to clean the mud off my skin and hair. I got out and then I was helped into my dress which was black and I had a leather bodice with a corset which Nelly pulled so tight I couldn't breathe easily, I then pulled on my floor length leather coat and I pinned my hair up into a bun on the back of my head.

"Josephine hurry up" My mother called.

"Why?" I inquired.

"Because we are going to that art exhibition" She replied. So I grabbed my top hat with the goggles resting on the red band around it and I was ready.

"Coming" I yelled as I skipped down the steps. So once we were all ready we clambered into the carriage being pulled by two elegant Friesians. We were soon making our way into town and I sat back as we passed the over turned carriage so the driver couldn't see in, I just started giggling and Sophia looked at me.

"That was you?" She asked.

"Yes" I nodded, my giggling was soon cut off by my fathers glare.

"When are you going to act as a proper young lady?" He quizzed me.

"I am guessing those lessons were a waste of time" My mother sighed.

"You mean the lessons of how to speak properly and how to stand up straight with books on my head, that gave me back ache and a headache. Well lets just say I didn't take much notice, they bored me" I said yawning to emphasise my point.

"Well maybe when you're married with a gentleman you may calm down and see things our way" My father said.

"Till that day, no" I answered.

We finally came to the hall, and my father got out helping my mother and sister out but I just shook my fathers hand off my arm, my sister linked hers with mine and we walked in, looked around but Dante and his friends weren't there yet. But there on the wall was the picture of a Friesian which was staring at the viewer curiously, but it looked very familiar and it had a crescent like the moon of white on its rear. "That's your horse isn't it?" Sophia asked.

"Indeed it is" I replied.

"Who's the painter?" I quizzed her and she looked at the signature.

"Dante Gabriel Rossetti" She replied. We inspected the picture closer and we could see our manor house in the background, and you could see the back of me as I walked away as I had just put him in the field, he must've arrived a few minutes after I left.

"Well at least you have something to talk to him about, right?" She hinted elbowing me in the ribs. We heard boots clattering on the floor causing everyone to glance in that direction and there stood Dante dressed in his beige clothing, black hat pushing his long curled dark hair down and he had black leather high boots on. He caught my eyes and then strutted over towards me and my sister, we then carried on gazing over the painting.

"Beautiful isn't it?" He said.

"Yes" I said blushing and beginning to fan myself, my sister looked at me and only laughed silently to herself.

"I am sorry sir but I don't think you realise but you've painted my sisters horse and her, there in the distance" My sister spoke up for me.

"I thought I recognised that horse this afternoon. My you can ride, even without a saddle" he complimented me.

"Thank you, but you're too kind sir" I answered finding my voice, but I was still overwhelmed with his presence. 

"Sophia, Josephine come girls don't talk to strange men, that's not how you were bought up" My mother said.

"I am sorry sir we must go" I told him.

"Dante please" He said taking my hand and kissing it.

"Josephine" I answered and we both walked to my parents and took a look at the other paintings.

"Who was that?" My father demanded.

"Dante Gabriel Rossetti" I replied dreamily and gazing back over towards him, I saw he locked gazes with me again and noticed his friend whisper something to him. 'I don't think he could even tame the horse within me!' I thought.

"Have you heard the rumours about him?" My sister asked.

"No" I replied.

"Well apparently he's looking for the one to court" She answered, which caused me to smile.

Please vote and comment