13.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The sound of keys rattling was a percussive noise that made time seem slow. His heavy boots against the porch seemed like an alarm ringing, a noise that caused a deep sense of dread that made the adrenaline in her being force awake.

Her cold feet moved against the floor, rushing trough the cabin as she dove onto the voice and grabbed the notebook.

She tried to remember what shelf she had grabbed it from.

She worked in a bookstore for god's sake.

She couldn't remember, placing it between two thicker books while begging that the officer wouldn't notice the small oddity.

She hoped that the trained man, who was taught to read and handle people in distress and violent situations to be deep enough in his head to not notice her blatant guilt.

He didn't seem to notice her in the dark at first, taking off his jacket and revealing the tired muscles
of his broad shoulders.

"Did you stay awake for me?"

She glanced at the clock.

She should be asleep.

Her breathing shouldn't be this wound up.

"I couldn't sleep, it's too dark in my room and I heard something in the forest-"

She was a bad liar, she had always been a bad liar. Her throat began to clog up, her skin itching and her mouth unable to speak in a normal pace.

He was a police officer, he should know a bad liar from their body language. He should know she was lying but he seemed to fixated on her to realize all the small signs that screamed BIG LIAR.

"I'm home now, you don't need to be scared," He sounded please, "I'll get you a nightlight tomorrow but it was probably just an animal."

His tone was made to sound comforting.

It's because of you I'm scared.

I'd rather feed hungry wolves with half a hand of cat kibble than stand here with you.

She bit down on her tongue.Was she feeding his ego, his savior complex just enough for him to believe a horrible lie because he liked the thought of it being true?

"Next time tell me if something's wrong, I'll fix it as fast as I can baby."

"I couldn't call you."

Could she play him enough to get her phone back?

Was he that enamored that he couldn't see what was happening?

"When I trust you enough, you'll get your phone back. It doesn't need to be like this." He stated, placing his keys at the counter and kicking his shoes off.

He wasn't stupid enough to fold so quick. Damn it.

She nodded, not having a good enough answer.

"I'm going back to bed." She strained herself to keep her voice calm, normal but not normal enough for him to suspect something.

"Did you forget something?"

The floor creaked underneath her feet.

She held her breath.

He couldn't know she had been snooping.

"You owe me a kiss."

You owe paying me for the psychiatrist I'll need for the rest of my life.