Fictional Transgender Advancements vs. Reality

As a trans-man, I'm well-informed about gender-affirming surgeries for transmasculine folks and transgender men. However, I understand that may not be the case for everyone who reads my work. This book contains two fictional advancements. To leave fewer questions, I will briefly compare reality to the inventions I created.

REALITY

Phalloplasty is a surgery that those who wish to construct or reconstruct a penis have. This surgery creates a penis using tissue flaps that may come from a patient's forearm, thigh, or back. These are called "donor sites." Large and permanent scars may fade but usually remain visible on these sites. These donor sites give those who have the procedure sensation in their penis; the sensation varies per successful surgery and by which donor site is utilized. While creating the penis, surgeons often extend the urethra, so one can urinate while standing, form the glans (head of the penis) and construct a scrotum. Phalloplasty is extremely personal to whoever receives it, so some folks may opt for less or more (ex., some folks born with a vagina might opt to keep their vagina in addition to a penis). After surgery, medical tattooing can be done to advance the aesthetic of the penis.

Those who get phalloplasty may also get an erectile implant. These implants are either:

Semi-Rigid: These rods are implanted inside the penis and are always firm. When an individual wishes to get erect, they simply raise their penis upward and then downward once disengaging. While this implant usually has long-term use before needing replacement, some feel the constant need to try to conceal a boner is worrisome (since the penis is always hard).

Inflatable: Inflatable implants use a fluid-filled reservoir implanted under the abdominal wall. A pump to this reservoir is placed inside the scrotum. When an individual wishes to be erect, they pump the fluid by lightly squeezing their scrotum until fully firm. Once finished, they press a valve on their scrotum to deflate.

Trans men often do not have the same visible "cum" as a cis-men. However, some are able to produce fluid when aroused. This is because their Skene's gland remained intact. Skene's gland is what produces "wetness" and "squirting" in those born with female anatomy. Even if their Skene's gland is still active, it doesn't mean every trans man with the procedure can visibly ejaculate (technically, it's more of a dribble).

Trans men cannot get people pregnant—more than likely (ex., some intersex transmen exist).

FICTION

In the wonderful universe of Taylen King, phalloplasty and donor site scars exist. However, there have been advancements when it comes to erectile implants. The Erection Enhancer uses biomimicry and responses from the brain to assist those with erectile dysfunction or phalloplasty receivers to have organic erections. With the installation of a microchip implant, the neural network communicates when aroused, sparking blood flow and forming an erection. Does it make scientific sense? Somewhat. Genuine researchers are looking into this, but of course, with further details, inner pieces, and information that I have access to.

In this universe, one can opt to undergo a specialized genetic modification. This modification produces sperm and allows the possibility of getting someone pregnant. An artificial sperm production chamber is built within the recipient, partnered with genetic editing and testosterone therapy, causing the possibility of impregnation.

In short, trans men may be able to experience natural erections and get others pregnant in this universe. However, that is not the case in real life. Though these procedures haven't come to pass in reality, advancements are currently being tested and researched. So, this all may be achievable in the far, far, far, far future. If you are a trans man or trans masc or feel you may wish to have any FTM surgeries, I highly recommend Subreddits for further information and experiences. If you do not wish to have FTM procedures, research is more than fine, but please respect any sacred FTM places you enter.

- Taylen (he/him)