Chapter Five

ZAMIRA

"Hon-ney." Arsenio's youthful voice floats through my minimalistic all-white bedroom. He glides from my closet, his Versace robe sweeping behind him like a superhero cape. Per hand, he holds at least five hanging garments. The plastic hangers clang as he throws them on the bed.

"I hope you're prepared for Jazz to go Nicki the Ninja on your ass," he says, scratching the back of his velvet durag. He's silently judging my outfit choices. His two-strand locs hide his slim facial features, but his body language speaks volumes. "She won't like you going on baecation with her brother."

I send him a look that tells him I'm more than aware of the bullshit our dear friend is about to be on. My face falters into a wince. "Damn, bitch! Are you trying to plait my brain cells, too?!" I scold. I jerk my hand behind my head, attempting to cease the assault on my scalp.

"Girl, stop being tender-headed," Flori teases, smacking my hand away. Memories of my mom treating me as her personal Barbie doll haunt me. Did she do it with love and care? Of course. Were my hairstyles always in the elite tier among my peers? Absolutely, but people underestimate the true cost of beauty. Pretty truly hurts.

"I'm not tender-headed. You're just heavy-handed," I argue, crossing my arms like a brat.

I should be kissing Flori and Ari's feet right now. This morning, Raz woke me up with sublime head and breakfast in bed. After sucking and feeding me, he told me that our flight leaves at 4 PM. Raz awakens breathtakingly handsome on a daily basis. After completing his hygiene routine and twirling his hair with a sponge brush a few times, he's prepped to snatch hearts. He has no idea what preparations a lady must make to travel abroad. I had hair, nail, threading, waxing, massage, and other dire appointments scheduled throughout the week to prepare for the tour. Now, I have to cram whatever I can in a few hours.

Gratefully, I have a stylist and fashion designer best friend in Ari. He can create masterpieces from my tomboy wardrobe, even if it's not up to his splendorous standards. He's in charge of keeping the headliners fresh during the tour, so he'll be on my ass about my fashion choices in every time zone.

While he packs clothes for my last-minute trip, Flori's at the beginning stage of a lace front installation. Today, the girl has solidified her title as "my bitch for life." She fearlessly shattered the protective glass on her emergency wig, moving me to tears. Putting my hair dilemma before her future self, she deserves a humanitarian award.

"You know what's blowing my mind?" Ari asks. My overabundance of anime and Hip-Hop culture graphic tees? "You and Razi have crossed paths for years without signs of a romantic connection. Now, boom, this big bang has happened. Miss Universe is a wild one."

"She's cosmically insane," I agree, huffing a laugh. "If someone had told me a year ago that I'd be smitten over Raziel Amador, I'd have asked them if I looked like a dense-ass bird. It's funny how options can be right in your face, but time waits to reveal them."

"To be fair, as a mutual friend of both of you, y'all have changed drastically within the last year," Flori says.

"Oop, facts," Ari confirms with a finger point. "Raz has settled into the role of a loving father, claiming he's ready to explore a serious relationship. "And you, Mir," his eyes twinkle, and his lips rise delicately, "have come so far. The growth you've shown through therapy sessions and your self-enlightenment journey has inspired an unhealed bitch like me to get his life together."

As his sentimental remark blesses me, I poke my bottom lip and clutch my heart. "Aw, baby, I love you. Both of you," I say. "Sometimes ghosts of my past visit, but they no longer overstay their welcome. They know they don't belong here anymore. Not in this desirable and peaceful life I'm choosing for myself. My therapist and self-healing techniques helped, but y'all, my family, and everyone who cares about me are my indestructible rock."