𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙩𝙮 𝙨𝙞𝙭.

─☼☼☼─

𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙍𝙀𝙇𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙇𝙀𝙎𝙎 𝙃𝙀𝘼𝙏 didn't subside the deeper they got into the jungle. In fact, Charlotte was pretty sure it was getting worse. The hair that had strayed from her ponytail stuck to the nape of her neck, sweat puddling around her hairline.

"Do you even know where you're going?" She questioned Ryan as the sun began to set over head. 

They had driven for a while before he had stopped the Jeep and pulled Charlotte from the vehicle. For the past hour, the two of them and Mateo had been seemingly wandering the jungle with no clear sign of where they were going.

"Quiet," Ryan snapped, but the heat seemed to be getting to him too. A layer of sweat coated his skin as he marched through the dense jungle, seemingly not a clue as to where he was going. 

Mateo, who walked next to Charlotte, stole a glance at her, noting her exhausted state. "We should take a break," he suggested, "Charlotte needs some water."

Ryan spun on him, gun raised, "You don't work for her," he bit out, frustration brimming, "You work for me. I say when we stop."

If Mateo was looking for praise from Charlotte for his attempt, he wasn't getting it. She kept her eyes set forward, the realization that if she didn't get out of this, she was dead. As soon as Ryan found out that she knew very little about El Dorado, he'd kill her on the spot, or use her as ransom for the gold if her friends were to make it to the treasure first. 

As if to prove his point that he was in charge, Ryan shoved the barrel of the gun into Charlotte's lower back, reminding her that he had complete and total control. She winced, stumbling slightly beneath the blanket of humidity. 

Close to thirty minutes passed before Ryan finally took pause. He checked the time on his watch before pulling a pair of handcuffs from his back pocket. Charlotte felt herself tense as he grabbed onto her arms. "Over here," he demanded, dragging her toward a tree. 

"What are you doing?" Charlotte snapped, trying to pull herself free from his grasp. In her mind, it seemed like he was about to leave her in the South American jungle as some form of punishment. She knew that there would be no getting out of it unless someone came to her aid...but who would?

Ryan ignored her, far outweighing her in the strength department. He handcuffed her to the tree easily, barely breaking any more of a sweat. "You," he barked at Mateo, "Stay with her. I have something to deal with." He checked the magazine in his gun, "And remember, kid. If you run or even think about freeing her, I'll kill you and anyone you've ever cared about."

Charlotte gave him an incredulous glare as Mateo dipped his head in understanding. This time, it wasn't the money keeping him here...it was the threat of his own life. Singh and his men had escalated. 

Barely giving either of them another look, Ryan disappeared into the vegetation to deal with whatever the hell was going on. Charlotte prayed it had nothing to do with her friends...but she wasn't as naive to think it didn't. 

"Did he hurt you?" Mateo wondered, nodding to the cuff on Charlotte's wrist. "Is it too tight?"

"No," Charlotte muttered, "But it wouldn't matter if it was...not like you could do anything."