Prologue

The world changed drastically in the span of just a century. It began with the sudden impact of an asteroid, a cataclysmic event straight out of a science fiction novel. Of the over ten billion people who once inhabited the planet, only a hundred million survived the cataclysm. Most of the infrastructures were left undamaged, which was a blessing for the survivors. 

Scattered survivors banded together, forming communities that pooled their resources to undertake the monumental task of rebuilding. The first priority was restoring a global communication network, bridging the remnants of former nations into a cohesive global community. From the reestablishment of global communication, a new government emerged. Recognizing that unity was essential for humanity's survival and revival, English was adopted as the universal language. They implemented a new calendar, marking the first year as the one of the cataclysmic event.

Thanks to the preserved remnants of pre-apocalyptic technology, the reconstruction proceeded smoothly. Over the course of five years, humanity made significant advancements in medical technologies, enhancing healing processes and unlocking breakthroughs in cell regeneration.

During these five years, unbeknownst to humanity, bizarre phenomena began to manifest in wildlife across the globe. This was attributed to a chemical compound inherent to the asteroid's core. Upon impact, the chemical was released into the air. However, it had already bonded with the DNA of the humans who perished in the disaster. Animals began to undergo transformation upon contact with the chemical, developing humanoid shapes while retaining their primal traits.

Just over three years later, they began to awaken to their altered selves, to their surroundings, and to the transformations that had taken place within their bodies. They were afraid of what had transpired, unable to comprehend such a strange phenomenon.

Compelled to form groups, they sought solace in each other's presence, finding comfort in the shared experience of their altered state, even among species they would have instinctively hunted in their feral forms. Then, some of them began to grow curious about the world beyond their immediate surroundings, wondering what lay beyond their limited perceptions. Since forming these groups, they remained within a close perimeter, venturing out only for food, fearing that straying too far would spell their demise.

Some, driven solely by their courage, ventured further and further until they stumbled upon cities. From afar, they observed the creatures living there thriving, seemingly unaffected by the physical changes that had troubled them. Little did they know that they were part of the reason for these new forms they found themselves with. The city dwellers appeared to possess a deeper understanding of their situation, prompting the animals to believe that they held knowledge critical to their own survival. That's the reason why a few of them tried to approach the inhabitants.

Their initial encounter with humanity proved to be nothing short of a bloodbath. Humans, upon encountering these strange creatures seemingly appearing out of nowhere, were gripped with primal fear. The army was deployed to take care of the problem where it occurred. At first, there were only one or two of them to contend with. However, as days passed, their numbers swelled, and what was initially mere curiosity soon turned into seething rage. Witnessing their own kind slaughtered without reason fueled their growing fury.

Despite their growing anger, they attempted to communicate with the humans. However, being a new species, they lacked the ability to use words like humans do. Instead, all they could manage were growls and other sounds reminiscent of their feral counterparts. Left with no other option, they resorted to the only course of action available to them: hunting.

It was a hunt unlike any war humans had experienced. The new creatures, later dubbed anthros, embarked on a relentless killing spree. They possessed remarkable speed, strength, and heightened senses, leveling the playing field despite the humans' superior firepower. Their sole disadvantage lay in intellect. Thus, they resorted to lethal force against those who posed a threat and took prisoners to study the humans and learn their language, as they recognized the need for a standardized language across all anthro species, aiming to bridge the communication gap not only with humans but also among themselves.