Chapter 3

Ray awoke to the gentle intrusion of sunlight filtering through the blinds, realizing with a jolt that the sun was already dipping towards the horizon. He had missed the pre-mission meeting hours earlier, a fact that sent panic coursing through him as he moved to get out of bed. Before he could fully rise, a hand landed on his shoulder, startling him. Turning his head, he found Samantha standing beside him.

"Don't move just yet. I need to check up on you to ensure everything is in order," she said in her usual soft voice, a comforting sound amidst his mounting anxiety.

"The briefing... I missed it, didn't I?" Concern etched Ray's voice as he spoke.

Samantha smiled sweetly, easing his worries. "Don't fret, the meeting was postponed. It'll be held when you're ready. There's still plenty of time."

With her reassurance, Ray relaxed back into his bed.

"So, what exactly happened?"

At the question, Samantha's visage twisted with anger, her canines flashing briefly. "Ernst gave you quite a beating. You had a few broken ribs, so Julie treated you."

Ray nodded, recalling the pain. "I remember that much. But why was I so out of it after she injected the medicine?"

Her interest piqued. "Ah, now that you mention it, I'm surprised you woke up so early."

"Huh?" Ray's confusion deepened.

Samantha explained, her smile warming him. "The medicine she used is an all-rounder. It boosts every process in your organism to respond to the issue it has. It can save your life but induces a sort of coma during the healing process, making it easier for your body to mobilize its forces. The duration depends on what needs to be healed; in your case, it should have taken about ten hours, but you woke up in just over six. Impressive, isn't it?" Her smile took on a hint of playfulness.

Ray's cheeks flushed deeper as he caught Samantha's amused smile directed at him. Fearing his embarrassment was obvious, he hurriedly averted his gaze, pretending to be engrossed in the view outside the window. Samantha's quiet amusement only grew, evident in the subtle sparkle of her eyes.

Turning back to her, Ray asked, "So, where can I get one of those medicines?"

Samantha's regretful tone matched the seriousness of her expression. "I'm afraid it's not that simple. The ingredients are scarce, and the production process is lengthy."

Understanding dawned on Ray; such a potent medicine must indeed be rare. His thoughts drifted to his recent beating at the hands of Ernst, shaking his confidence in facing the powerful soldiers. After all, these enhanced human soldiers, weren't they on the same level, or better, than even him? He claimed he was confident in his close-range combat, and he was, but in a different sense. He was adept at stalling for backup to arrive, not necessarily at winning the fight outright.

She continued, "Only high-ranking officers have one on them for their own use. Other than that, every squad in Death's Hand has a medic, and each medic is given one of these vials."

"But why use it on me? It seems wasteful," Ray inquired, his tone laced with concern.

Her response carried a hint of sorrow. "You're their new scout, replacing the previous one who fell in action. Your skills are vital for this mission, hence the decision. As for Julie's animosity towards humans, it's not my place to disclose. Suffice it to say, her trauma runs deep."

Ray absorbed Samantha's words, grappling with the weight of her revelations. He knew the members of Death's Hand had suffered greatly at the hands of humans, but Samantha's insight shed new light on Julie's inner turmoil.