Prologue

We danced but the rhythm was not yet ours.

I lost the light I found when I was at my darkest.

As time passes, things start to shift, including how I live and my surroundings, but she. . . she will always be one of my cherished memories.

My gaze shifted to every corner of this broad office, silently observing while we were waiting for the meeting to start, wherein a lot of highly respected individuals were gathered for this huge project, which, of course, I was part of. I don't want to jinx things, but this might be one of the biggest and most successful projects that has ever been made in the country.

I turned to the cloudless mirror. Almost all of us are already here, while the others whom we'll work with are still on their way, and I know she's one of them.

My knees couldn't stop shaking because of the anticipation that I would now see her after long, cold years. 

I am terrified of how those years moulded her.

Then she's here.

My heart pounded loudly.

She's in a rush. Her baby hair bounced while she made her presence known with her fine walk, holding her head up high, walking as if nobody must stand in her way. Her aura screams virtuoso—her great posture, firm eyes, and how she prose herself made her look like the owner of the upcoming project, even though she's not.

She became a head turner, some even paused their conversation only to catch a glimpse of her.

She changed so much. She seemed like she don't need anyone and I should be proud but. . . I know it was only because she was hurt for a couple of times.

It makes her guarded.

I want to take care of her, be there for her, stay by her side, and make her feel loved all over again, but her defenses are now higher than the apex of any mount.

The Greek'd model-like man who's just her age opened the door on her behalf. Right then and there, they shared a soft, genuine smile. Their eyes sparkled.

What a painful yet heavenly sight to see. Her smile I longed now I can only see, when she does it to somebody, somebody who is no longer me.

If only I took care of her better than I ever did. 

Maybe until now, we're still together. 

Full of maybes.

Now, all I can do is stare, adore, and love her from afar, like a star in the night skies. 

Because there's a possibility that I won't be able to be with her for a second time, to be with her for a lifetime. I didn't have any luck or chances before, even now, and that leaves me no choice but to make my own.

She looked around with a huge smile plastered on her face. Her eyes glint, quite ecstatic. Her excitement alone makes the clouded air a bit sunny.

She's the treasure I don't regret, I had poured my everything into. I'm proud to see her achieve her dreams, which she thought she would never do, yet I can't stomach the fact that we never got the chance to celebrate our milestones together.

Her scorching eyes lost their light as soon as her gaze landed on me. It turned empty. . . worse than it used to be. 

Lifeless, she seems. As if she never wants to get a glimpse of me, again.

My chest turns heavy.

I know I have no right to feel this but, d'mn. Is it wrong to want something that, for once, I lose?