Epilogue

Sometimes, being a hero isn't possible. Heroes all have a trait after all. No matter where or whom they come from, they always strive for justice, to protect those who can not protect themselves. Although Noctum never thought of himself as a hero, there was no denying that he pulled everything he could to save his friends, his family. He came from the darkness, in life, and even in death, but that did not stop him from making the right choice, in the end. He had done things, unspeakable things, when he had worked for Bjorn, turning to organised crime to try and fill the void that his loss had left in his life. He had killed, more brutally than most of the villains that he fought against, and he never fought for justice, he always let anger cloud his vision and fought for the death of his foes, rather than the freedom of those they threatened. Noctum, on paper, is no hero, and in practice, he is not much of one. That did not stop him, though, when he set out on the path of righteousness, regaining the part of him he lost long ago. That, is Noctum's story.

On an anonymous city street, a young lady crouched, tears streaming from her eyes as she wailed to the heavens, her dead lover's body held in her arms. They were to be married, but the blind rage of a person who was a hero to the public had taken him, snatched him from her arms. Even before he had passed on, all ambulances were redirected to the heroes, to try and make sure they survived, meaning that the vehicle that was to save her fiancé left them alone, him to die, her to suffer. And she hated them for that, her hatred of Noctum only growing as the time passed, hours upon hours of her, knees pressed to the floor, wishing nothing more than for her lover to raise his head, to be alive, to share just one more kiss, before fading away into nothing. Alas, her prayers were not answered, as he moved on into heaven, praying for her happiness in life, even though he would not be there to witness it.

Far, far away, on a distant, warm planet, with ample fresh air, three lights spun around in a circle, surrounding the corpses of what looked like humans, but with the heads of animals. There was a jackal, black, shiny matted fur growing from a slim frame. There was a lion, a golden mane crackling with energy as the lights grew closer to their previous bodies. There was also a falcon, its glorious head made only the more beautiful by the disk on its headdress, one that took the shape of the sun itself. The light that found its way into that body was the brightest, the most powerful of the three, but all of them found their bodies. The three Egyptian Gods rose, Anubis, Shu, and Ra. In the words of their killer, the essences of Gods are very difficult to destroy, and Apis had not been able to deal the finishing blow to their essences before coming to Earth. The slain Gods had returned, in all their former glory.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING

I AM GOING TO TAKE A SHORT BREAK FROM WRITING AFTER THIS NOVEL IS COMPLETED, SO THE NEXT ONE WILL TAKE A FEW WEEKS TO BEGIN RELEASING. DO NOT WORRY, THOUGH, STAY TUNED FOR:

PROTECTORS: CONSEQUENCE