۰15۰ Alliance/ رِشتہ

Night had fallen not too long ago. The once crowded streets were barely covered with people. Only some that were either going home or wrapping up whatever little work they had left were roaming here and there. Almost everyone was confined to their homes. The tiring work day had finally ended. The night came as a gift to relax and sleep whatever the tiredness the human body had endured during the hard day.

Same was the case with Sahar. Her shift ended around five, but she was pulled for some overtime. She only left the hospital at seven thirty. There were still a fifteen to twenty minutes walk to her home. It would be ten if she would find a transport. But she seemed like she ran out of luck. She was forced to walk back home. She didn't mind. The walking relaxed her. It was a busy day at the hospital. She kept her mind conjured up in thoughts so as to ignore the stares and hushed whispers of the people as she entered her neighbourhood. She was so close to her doorstep when a shrill voice halted her movements.

"Arey Sahar job dobara shuru kardi?"
(Oh Sahar you started the job again?)

She turned around and faced the nosy neighbour. She was the most talkative women of the entire neighbourhood. A carbon copy of Nurse Haya in personality. She only passed a nod to the woman, hoping she won't pry anymore, but yeah her luck had ran out.

"Bara afsos huwa tumhari mangni ka sun kar. Ye bare gharane ke log aese hi hote ha. Pata nahi tumhari Maa ne wahan rishta hi kiun kiya. Khamkhuwa, beti ki izzat ka tamasha bana diya."

(I was so saddened with the news of your engagement. These rich people are always like that. I don't understand why your mother even agreed for your alliance. Your honour was made fun)

Her teeth clattered together while her jaw fixed so hard, it would break if she exerted any more force. She opened her mouth for a solid comeback when the door behind her opened and a shadow loomed over her. Craning her neck, she found her Uncle Daud glaring at the woman.

"Get lost. Not a word more to her." He barked up at the woman while pulling Sahar inside. She stumbled inside but noticed the sour expression of the lady before the door closed on her face. Her Uncle only left her elbow when they reached the living room where Tanzila sat holding her head in her hands. Worry clouded Sahar's form at her mother's hunched figure and she asked

"Ammi what's wrong?" She glanced upward to see her little sister worriedly gazing at them. Sahar's question was only answered with silence.

"Tell me." She asked again while kneeling down beside her mother. Tanzila only glanced up at her with tension evident in her eyes.

"Here. Take a look." Sahar grasped the phone in her hand and read the article. Her insides churned at what she read. An article about Zaviyar and his shenanigans.

Another girl.
Was Zaviyar cheating?

The thought stirred something inside of her. A feeling of betrayal and anger. He was out with other girls of a club while she was dressing up for him. If he never really wanted to marry her then why agree in the first place? Why?

"Your face is hidden quite well, but it will be a piece of cake to edit that picture and blast your face on the media."

She looked up at the voice of her Uncle. He was standing straight with shoulders squared and eyes squinted. As if he was analyzing a situation.

"What's that got to do with us?" She asked. Clearly not following his point. He threw his hands in the air and paced the hallway, running his hands through his hair.