۰18۰ Sacred/ مُقدّس

The once quiet Rahman house reeked of hustle and bustle

The once quiet Rahman house reeked of hustle and bustle. There were shouts and padding of footsteps in each corner of the house. The house was adorned with lights and flowers. Garlands were hanging from the windows, by the railing of the stairs and even on the front door. The curtains were changed to a different colour. The kitchen smelled of sweets and florals. There was a faint aroma of henna surrounding the entire house. The whole house was bustling with energy and barely kept excitement.

And how could it not.

It was Sahar's Nikkah after all.

Rubina visited Tanzila the same day Ahad and Sahar talked to each other. She assured the girl's mother that even though the alliance was made purely due to some unconventional reasons, Sahar would still be her daughter in law in all sense. Tanzila shouldn't be worried for her daughter. Rubina made sure that she'll be like her daughter too since she always wanted a girl child. Sahar would just fit right in with her. Honestly, Rubina was more than pleased to welcome Sahar with open arms. Seeing the gentleness of Rubina toward her daughter even before she married her son calmed Tanzila's motherly heart and set it at ease.

Her daughter was going to be in good hands. What more she can wish for

Sahar stood by her room's window and gazed at the toddling of the people. Her mother was talking animatedly to some Aunty of the neighbourhood. The news of her Nikkah spread like a wildfire. The aunties who once talked behind her back of her broken engagement were now coming to congratulate her. One Aunty even had the audacity to say to her face

"Ye acha ha ek bhai se mangni tooti, to dosre se nikkah karlo".
(This is right. If engagement broke with one brother, marry the other one)

She even shared a hearty laugh with her group not knowing how that one sentence jabbed at her heart. Of course, she expected it. People would talk more now. About how she agreed to marry her ex-fiance's brother. They couldn't really be happy with anything. She ignored the jab it caused to her heart and didn't tell anyone about that. Her mother was stressed as already due to the little to no notice for the Nikkah. Both families decided that only Nikkah would be done for the time being. Until Daud healed completely, they could perform the rest of the functions. Her eyes then darted to her empty hands, void of any henna. A talented henna artist was called to done her mehndi but she hadn't even gone down. Just then the door of her room opened after a faint knock and she turned to look at the person who arrived.

"Come Appi. You should get your henna done".

Rubab stood at the door dressed in a dark purple suit. Her hands were adorned with a simple design that was dried. Sahar nodded her head and put the dupatta on her shoulder and went downstairs with her sister. Indeed, the artist was waiting for her since all the other girls were already done with their hands.

"Here's the bride." Rubab told the artist who smiled at Sahar. Sahar was dressed in a cream white suit with a multi coloured dupatta. She sat crossed legged onto the ground and told the henna artist