Chapter 4: No More Tape

[No one's point of view]

Langa, Reki, and Y/n were walking home after school together the day after the big race. They were hanging out and everything was pretty chill for the most part. That is, considering the obnoxious tendencies Reki does on the regular.
Reki: "That was so cool! I've never seen skating like that before!"
Y/n rolled her eyes at his fanboying.
Reki: "Oh, and that thing, the thing you did at the end! That was a snowboarding trick, right?!"
Langa: "Yeah, the backside rodeo." he says casually as he tapes his feet to the board.
Reki: "That's right! You're from America!"
Y/n: "It's Canada, you Peabrain."
Reki: "Right, whatever. Hey! Let me see that again! Your skating, I mean!"
Y/n: "Don't just demand him to do stuff! You don't have to if you don't want to, Langa."
Langa: "You don't have to ask."
He quickly stood up on his borrowed board and just stayed there. All was silent.
Langa: "...Reki."
Reki: "Yeah?"
Langa: "Push me."
Y/n stood there, poorly holding in the laughter that eventually escaped her.
Reki: "Uhh... sure."

[Reki's point of view]

I give him a push, and he starts to really fly down the sloped sidewalk. Wow! Nice! Wait, hold on. The road!
Reki: "Langa! Look out!" I feel Y/n fly past me on her board. "Y/n! What are you doing?!"
I watch as Y/n yanks him out of the way and they both crash on the other side of the road, narrowly escaping a vehicle. I freeze for a second from the shock of it all.
Reki: "Are you okay?!"

[Langa's point of view]

Ow, that hurt. Did I die? I open my eyes to Y/n leaning over the top of me.
Y/n: "Are you okay?" she asks with concern.
Nope. Definitely not dead. I feel my face get warm at her gaze.
Langa: " ...I... I... mmn."
I nod. My mind doesn't want to make words.
Y/n: "But, the bridge of your nose is pretty scraped up."
It is?
Y/n: "Here, let me help. I always carry band-aids just in case." She opens her backpack and pulls one out for me. "May I?"
Langa: "..."
Brain still doesn't want to make words.
Y/n: "Or you could put it on yourself."
I start to shake my head without thinking. What am I doing?!
Y/n: "Oh, okay. Stay still then, so I can put it on you."

[Y/n's point of view]

Y/n: "Or you could put it on yourself."
Langa's eyes widen, and he closes them tightly and shakes his head quickly. Cute! He reminds me of a little puppy!
Y/n: "Oh, okay. Stay still then, so I can put it on you."

[Langa's point of view]

Y/n: "...and there you go. All fixed up."
She's... so close!! She's cupped her hand on my cheek! She's touching my face!!
Y/n: "Are you sure you're not hurt anywhere else?"
She inspects my face as she asks.
Langa: " ...I... I'm... f-fine."
Whenever I get near her, I can't think straight, and words get caught in my throat. That's just not fair. Y/n clicks her tongue.
Y/n: "Your cheek's all scraped up, too. Are you sure?"
I nod.
Y/n: "Good. I'd feel awful if you got hur-"
Reki: "Are you okay?!" I hear Reki yell, running from the top of the steep hill.
We both turn to look at him.
Y/n: "We're both good! Hurry up and get over here! You have the reaction time of a sloth!"
Reki made his way over and responded,
Reki: "Well, at least you're both okay. That was a wild save, Y/n!"
Y/n: "Nah, it was pretty sloppy. Langa's all scraped up."
She turned to Reki, sitting on the ground.
Reki: "What the heck! Speak for yourself! Your knee looks awful!"
I look at her knee.
Langa: "Blood?!"

[Reki's point of view]

Langa: "Blood?!"
I look over to Langa and see all the blood drain from his face, his eyes fixed on Y/n's knee. Y/n notices, too.
Y/n: "O-oh, it's fine!" she reassures him, covering her knee with her hand. "I've got a band-aid for this kind of thing, too. Happens all the time! Langa? You don't look so good. You okay?" she asked, leaning in closely to examine his face.
Langa's eyes widen as his cheeks flare up with a red tint. He blinks owlishly.
Langa: "..."
He stays silent and nods. He is head over heels for her. I offer a hand to help Langa off the ground and Y/n starts bandaging up her knee.
Y/n: "Hold on. Get that board off your feet. We don't want you rolling away."
Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. I wait for him to take off the tape.
Reki: "Hey, what happened to how you skated yesterday? It's like you were a completely different person."
Langa: "I don't know either... Hey, Reki. After school, lend me your board again!"
Reki: "Wha-...?! Did you forget that you almost just died?!"
Langa: "I know... but... something about it... felt good..."
It felt good to almost die?
Reki: "...huh?"
Y/n: "Just remember Langa, what you rode yesterday was a skateboard, not a snowboard. It's not the same and it never will be. Are you sure you want to do it?"
Langa: "I want... I want to skate!"
Y/n's face broke out into a broad smile. I smiled, too.
Y/n: "Langa, I have one thing to ask though."
Langa: "Y-yeah?"
Y/n: "Please, no more taping your feet to the deck."
Reki: "Yeah! No more tape! 'Kay?"
Langa: "I promise. No more tape."