The Gift

I stood next to Mirabel with a smile on my face. I had to smile , for her and for my brother.

Leo stood beside my father with a straight face, he looked so adorable in his little clothes with his messy curly hair styled to his liking. His hazel eyes looking at the faces of the people around the room.

Antonio was with has family.

I gave my little brother a soft reassuring smile when his eyes meet mine. He moved away from mother and ran over to me. I knelt to his level.
"I liked your song. It was cute."

"Thank you, Leo. No matter what happens remember what I told you."

Leo nodded and cleared his throat. "We have our miracle because of our grandpa's sacrifice."

"That's right. The gift you get doesn't matter, because could never be as special as you."

Leo giggled and jumped into my arms for a hug. "Will you go with me ? there's to many people."

You smiled down at him with love. "Always."

"We already have the greatest miracle if all."

"Family." We both said together.

.. .. . . . .

The time had come for the ceremony to begin and Leo held onto my hand as he was the first to receive his gift.

Abuelas stood at the top of the stairs case waiting patiently though avidly anxious. We ascend the stairs and I stand to the side as he turns to greet our abuelas.

"No matter what happens you are just as special as your gift." My Abuela said.

She held the candle out for him to touch. My heart beat stayed slow and controlled as I looked at my brother who's hands hovered o er the candle shaking.

I immediately kneel beside him. "All will be fine."

He looked up at with big tear filled eyes. "Thank you."

I stepped back and watched as he inhaled a shaky breathe and holds the candles sides. He turns to look at me before walking to his door and turning the nob.

The door instantly coloured , golden strings lineing themselves along the door until a form took the empty space. There stood Leo with a book in his hands and on top of the book little figures moving about until the door was completed.

We all turned to look at Leo who had stepped away from his door and was now clutching my hand softly. He pulled me to his door and opened it. We both gasped as we looked on at the artist heaven that was my little brothers room. There were books everywhere on the ceiling ,on the floor , on shelves stuck to the walls and glowing golden ink feathers beside them.

Leo ran into his room and picked up a book and feather. He opened the book to the first page and wrote his name.

Leonardo Rodrigo.

The page lit up and the words literally came off of the page.

"We have a new gift!" Abuela said cheerily.

Before I could reach my brother people began to enter the room crowding the atmosphere. I excuse my self and moved to the center of the room to sit on my brothers book shaped bed.

Mirabel and Antonio sitting beside me as we looked up at the roof in awe. "This is so cool!" Toni said with a big smile.

"Yeah. It really is." Mira said as she picked up a book. ''Its empty."

I stood to look into the book with her. "Probably for writing and drawing. I think all of them are empty."

"Make sense." Toni said and Abuela Alma wrung a bell signaling the start of Toni's gifting.

I kissed his head. "Good luck little man."

I moved away as my cousin came to take me back to our family. He smiled at Mira and Toni. "Good luck to you both."

As we walked away I smirked at him knowingly. "Oh stop it. She needs it as much as he does, if not more."

I feighned pretence. "It's just very nice if you to include her. She needed that especially from you."

"Shut up heffa." He rolled his eyes. "I'm sure Camilo is around here somewhere." She said pretending to look around.

"Oi!" I panicked and grabbed his arm. "Don't do that!"

"Why not?" He smirked.

"You are so insufferable."

"That makes two of us."