Don't listen to the creepy ghost child!

"....What can I do to make sure zero doesn't stay zero..?"

The humanoid boy waltzed through the empty halls of the research facility. The only other sound being the gentle humming of the tech and magic that made up the futuristic design.

There was a strange aura surrounding the fiery headed boy. Like there was so much going on in his head, that he could not express properly. Like he wasn't sure what exactly to do with himself and all the new thoughts that sprouted within his mind.

'Would you like me to tell you?'

There was a voice. The voice like that of a young boy. It sounded innocent, yet also strangely ominous. The sound surrounded the humanoid figure that has now stopped dead in his tracks, eyes wide with surprise. He looked around, searching for the source of this mysterious voice that he didn't recognize.

"Huh?! Who's there?!"

'...Come here...
This way'

The voice, without a body to accompany it, had spoken out to the boy. It was trying to bring him somewhere.

"It sounds like it's coming from Tartarus....
Are you a Phantom?!"

'You want to know what you can do, right?'

With those simple words, spoken like a siren's song in the night, a dark mist enveloped the hall and a trance comes over the boy. His artificial eyes stared ahead blankly, his voice monotone.

"....Yes
I want to change the future so badly....."

'Then come closer.
Come down here.'

Ortho was being baited. Tempted even. But he did not particularly care for any risks, he had to know what he could do. He would not be powerless in this situation. If there is action to take, he surely will take it.

'That's right... Keep moving....
Down.. Down....'

He made his decent through Tartarus, passing through the levels lined with frozen phantoms silently. He was being lured down. Overcome with his desire to take action and make a real difference, he followed.

'Into the deep, dark, frigid underground.....'

Down to the bottom. Sector 12.

"This is..."

To the gate of the Underworld.

Ominous, child-like laughter filled the space, echoing off the walls.

".....Are you there?"

'Yes.
I've been here since long before you were born'

'But I was never lonely.
After all, I have so many friends down here'

".....Friends?"

'I want you..... No.
I want everyone in the world to be our friend'

'that way..
We don't need this cage anymore.'

'Nii-chan can be free!'

This appeared to be something the voice was quite passionate about. A desire, unfulfilled for many years.

"Nii-chan..?
Are you..?!"

°

"Hi, Rook Hunt-san, Epel Felmier-san.
Is there anything you need?"

The door to the training facility opened to allow entry to a slightly off putting Ortho. His voice felt strange. As though he was merely going through the motions, and something much bigger was happening underneath.

"Ah, Ortho-kun, your kindness is most touching. We are faring quite well."

An eccentric hunter, Rook Hunt, wasted no time in greeting the young humanoid and offering his gratitude.

"We've finished the tests for Vil-san, Grim-san, and all the others. Everything went smoothly with no major issues.
They're all pretty tired though, so they're recovering in their rooms right now.
Grim-san had an especially large battery of tests. Now he's sprawled out on his back, snoring away.
You'll be able to see them tomorrow morning, when you leave the island."

"Oh, would that I could see Vil looking hale and hearty sooner, but if he's fatigued, then so it must be."

"..Mm, right. I made sure to pass along the skincare products to Vil-san."

"Truly? Merci!
I'm most grateful for your friendship and generosity"

The blonde was positively beeming, his exclamation of gratitude in proper Rook fashion.

"If anything, we should be grateful to you.
Thanks to you and your friends coming here, I think I finally understand my purpose.
I must do my best so that I can say, 'I did what I could.'
So zero doesn't stay zero...."

"Monsieur Marionette.....
I hope your endeavors lead you to a bright and shining future.
Hm? Monsieur crabapple.. Is there something troubling you?"

The small, lavender haired boy flinched only slightly at being addressed, suddenly feeling rather self conscious. He had been glancing around the room, fidgeting with his dorm uniform and biting the inside of his cheek.

He was unsure of whether he should say something or not, but upon his concerns being asked about directly, he turned his gaze onto the humanoid in the room, speaking up hesitantly.

"Hey.. Uh... Ortho..? Where..." He cleared his throat. "Where is Mc? I remember.. When you brought us here, you had taken them with you. But.. They are not with you right now. Nothing.. Happened to them, right....?"

The silence stretched out for much longer than Epel would have found comfortable, before a response came.

"You need not worry about their well being. I assure you, danger befalling them is something that we would never allow to happen. However.. You may not be... Seeing them much anymore....
Currently, I Believe they are with my big brother, so there is no need for concern. Nii-chan is very capable, they are safest at his side."

These words, meant to be comforting and reassuring, sent a shiver up Epel's spine, and Rook's eyes narrowed with a slight frown tugging at his lips. 'may not be seeing them much anymore?'

Ortho's behavior did not sit right with the country boy of Pomefiore. There was a terrible, gut-wrenching feeling deep within his core. Telling him that something was wrong. Something was terribly wrong, and he didn't know what.

°

'Now....
Let us first put Cerberus to sleep'

"This command cannot be undone. Proceed?"

'The time has come. Let us go. The whole universe awaits'

"Voice verification confirmed. All systems green. Executing program."

A cacophony of zombie-like groans filled the surroundings, accompanied with a greenish hue spilling from the crack in the stone.

'Oh.....
How I've longed for this day....'

'I have no doubt that together, we can change the future'

"I won't let zero stay zero.."

'We meet at last..'

...

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Ortho"

Words: 952

Date published: March, 7, 2024