Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Feeling the stares of so many upon my back was no longer mildly entertaining; it had become quickly annoying. Yet somehow, I liked it when I looked their way, and they diverted their gazes elsewhere from me because of an unconscious fear.

If it was the only thing worth of value, I learned from the Black Bloods it was that fear equivalents to respect. If someone feared you then they were showing a respect. Fear was healthy for one to have, but not so much that it turns to hate. That one I learned on my own.

I wondered somewhere in the back of my mind if Dare was really so sure that I wouldn't hurt or kill anyone here. Well, except the few who were singed by my fire. My part in almost killing the vampire mage who couldn't swim and Ellie's eyebrows with a fire ball aside.

Continuing to wander wherever my feet would take me, I walked out of the school palace and around its back to be greeted by hills of lush gardens. It still came as a shock to me to see so many green things growing in one place. The only thing that had ever grown in the barren lands of the Black Bloods had been the poisonous Belladonna vine flowers and those had never lasted longer than a few weeks.

Then I felt it, the change in the air around me as someone came closer to me from behind fast, extremely fast. Forgetting who I was and where I was in that given moment slipping over the edge of reason I lashed out. Mind and body ready for battle.

In a quickly sweeping arch I rounded on the heel of one foot, arm extending with claw tips fingers at the ready. The person not expecting so quick a movement were quickly within my grasp.

Yet the person I held in the air above me by one slender hand around their throat was none other than Ellie. She squirmed in my grip face going red, raking her long nails over my fingers in an attempt – hopeless though it was – to free herself.

When I saw her face start to change color I seemed to snap back to myself, and I dropped her. Ellie fell to the ground on her knees gasping for air that didn't want to come forth. Shame washed over me as I realized what I had just done again without thinking, to someone I didn't really want to hurt, no matter how dumb they were.

"I am sorry," I whispered, reaching out to reassure her with a touch like Dare had with me.

"No!" she barked hoarsely at me, backing away on her hands and knees. My hand curled into a fist and fell to my side.

"I don't care who or what you are anymore! You're a monster!" Ellie cried out with disgust. Feeling as low as I never had before, my shoulders slumped, my head bowed with the weight of guilt. Another one to add to my list.

"I know that" I whispered roughly, eyes pricking with tears. Ellie shut up in that moment and I felt her eyes look over me.

"What do you mean, 'I know'?" she asked suspiciously.

"I know that I am a monster," I elaborated, head still hung low. "I wish that I was not, however I was never given the choice to be otherwise. It seems I cannot change no matter how much I wish too. It was a mistake to ever come here to the Isle."

I got to my feet and was about to make a run for it when a small hand grabbed me by the wrist. I looked into Ellie's eyes, which were swimming in tears.

"Your face is leaking," I whispered. I could feel mine was able to leak as well.

"Tell me your story," she demanded softly. And so, we went back to our room in the dorm, and I told her my sorry tale as I had told Dare not so long ago. I expected her to react harshly and was ready for anything, but all she did was stare at me with those wide eyes, chewing her lower lip as she listened.