Prologue

The computer store had been great, Crowley thought. He'd bought a nice PC and monitor for surprisingly cheap, and it worked perfectly. It hadn't even taken a demonic miracle for it to turn on - the monitor lit up once he set it down on the new desk he'd got for it.

   He did all the things necessary to set up a computer (the author is too lazy to specify), then installed Steam.

   He liked video games. He'd liked them ever since Adam had showed him whatever Skyrim was. (Yes, Crowley often visited Adam and the Them in Tadfield, just to make sure they were still okay. Occasionally he would engage in fun games with them, whether traditional or electronic.)

   Crowley watched all his new video games install with a sigh. They would take approximately two hours, according to the bar on the bottom right.

   He was bored, and since he knew all his friend, Aziraphale, was doing was not selling books, he picked up the phone and dialed him.

   The phone rang. "Hello?" said an English voice on the end.

   "Aziraphale!" said Crowley, trying to hide his apparent happiness that he was speaking to the angel. "Hi, just checking in, wanted to ask you a question."

   "Of course, er, what is it?"

   "Do you want to come over? And. Well, I just got a new computer, and uhhhh... d'you wanna play some video games on it?"

   There was a pause. "Video games?"

   "Yeah, those things on computers or TVs and stuff where you uh, you play it. And like, control a character or someth-"

   "I know what a video game is Crowley," said Aziraphale with a little chuckle.

   "Right... so do you want to come? I know you're not doing anything at the bookshop."

   "Oh, alright. I suppose I don't sell any books anyway."

   Crowley couldn't suppress a grin. "Good. See you in...?"

   "10 minutes."

   They hung up.

   Crowley stared at the bar showing how uploaded the games were. Two hours, it said still. He hissed softly at it and it shot up to 20 minutes. Perfect.

   Just enough time for him to talk with Aziraphale before turning on the games.

   ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"So, exactly how many games did you install?"

"Uhhhhh... ffffive??"

"Five?!" Aziraphale stared at the demon in disbelief. "At the same time?!" Crowley slowly nodded and said nothing. "No wonder it's taking so long!"

"Uh." Crowley ducked his head in shame. "Can you use a miracle to fix it?"

"Well. I suppose. Gabriel's going to be quite put out, though; I'm not supposed to be using 'frivolous miracles'." He clicked the mouse, then snapped his fingers.

The games installed.

"There." The angel stepped back, half-glaring at the computer - or Crowley, who was grinning like the idiot he was.

"Yes," he said softly. He opened up the tab showing each game he downloaded. There were, indeed, five.

"Alright!" Crowley hovered the cursor over them and glanced at Aziraphale, who was sitting in a chair next to him. "Which one?"

"They all look... slightly eerie, don't you think?"

Crowley's gaze landed on the first one - Poppy Playtime. It depicted a furry blue monster with a wide grin. "How's it eerie? Looks cute to me."

Aziraphale gave him a look. "Well of course it does, you're a demon. Creepy to you is cute."

"That's right." Crowley clicked on the Poppy Playtime thing. "We'll go in order of downloads. This one, uh, Joy - ville, whatever that is, Garten... Garten of... wossat say?" Crowley squinted. "Banana?"

   "Banban," Aziraphale corrected. He raised an eyebrow. "That looks like a child's game."

   "Ahhhh, it'll be great. C'mon, let's go." He clicked the start button on Poppy Playtime. It showed the download icon, then a black screen and ambience sounds, which were unsettling.

   A creepy tune began playing. It reminded Crowley of those old commercials from the 1950s.

   The screen was still black...

   There was a flash of bright violet light, and Crowley jolted back. He could feel himself getting pulled into the... the screen?! His vision was blurry. He was slowly passing out.

   He only stayed lucid long enough to hear Aziraphale call out his name, then everything went black.

Hope you all liked this weird random thing I decided to write, and another chapter will probably come out a bit later (either today or tomorrow). I'm updating this one faster than my other actual novels lol.

Why don't you vote if you enjoyed? Maybe land a few comments. I don't care about my notifications blowing up. 😁😁😁