Ep~8 (Museum Mysteries: In the Hallways)

Present ~

Frustration gnawed at Selene as she scanned the bare walls of their confined space. Only four torches flickered on opposite walls, casting long, unsettling shadows. "Will we ever get out of here?" she sighed, her voice echoing in the oppressive silence.

Zeddy, ever the optimist, shrugged with a grin. "There's gotta be a hidden door, a secret passage! Like in all those adventure movies, right?"

Selene chuckled. "You watch way too many movies, Zeddy, but hey, anything's worth a try. Let's see if your movie magic works."

Scene shifts ~

Darkness enveloped Jake and Karmeen, the only light emanating from the four torches lining the walls. They searched frantically, their hands brushing against the cold stone, hope dwindling with each passing moment.

"Anything?" Karmeen whispered, her voice strained.

Jake shook his head, frustration gnawing at him. "No luck yet." He forced a smile, trying to mask his growing fear. "Don't worry, we'll find a way out."

Karmeen's stomach rumbled, breaking the tense silence. She sheepishly pulled out a crumpled bag of biscuits. "Emergency rations," she mumbled.

"Here, have some," she offered, extending a few to Jake.

Jake hesitated. "No, you keep them. You must be hungry." (He couldn't bear to take them, knowing her need was greater.)

"Sharing is caring," Karmeen insisted, her eyes sparkling with genuine concern. "Besides, I won't let you starve."

With a hesitant smile, Jake accepted a biscuit. "Thanks."

Scene shifts ~
Zeddy offered Selene a chocolate bar, his eyes twinkling. "Thank goodness I always stash some emergency snacks!"

Selene chuckled, accepting the sweet offering. "You're a lifesaver, Zeddy."

The mood softened, and curiosity piqued. "Tell me, Zeddy," Selene began, "why do you and Karmeen clash so much?"

Zeddy's smile faltered, a shadow crossing his face. "It's a past that's best left buried."

"Speaking of history," Zeddy shifted the topic, "how long have you known Jake?"

"Since ninth grade, when I joined the school," Selene replied. "He's changed a lot since then."

"Quiet kid, huh?" Zeddy observed.

Selene: "He's changed a lot. Classmates say he used to be super introverted, rarely talked, and just sat in class. But he was always kind, friendly, and a top student. Everyone loved him."

Zeddy: Interesting.

Selene: He's definitely opened up more now. Talks to classmates, jokes around, and even got in shape. But…

"But…" Zeddy prompted, sensing the unspoken.

Selene sighed. "Sometimes I worry about him. He…"

Jake and Karmeen (cont.)

"So, Jake, how many are in your family?" Karmeen asked, trying to lighten the mood. "Mine's just me, Mom, and Dad. Mom's a dress designer, and Dad works in an office."

Jake swallowed, a pang of longing shooting through him. "Three, including me."

"Meaning you, your mom, and dad?" Karmeen clarified.

"No," Jake replied, his voice barely above a whisper. "Just me and Mom. She's a housewife, and I have a sister, Maya. She's in college."

Selene and Zeddy (cont.)