Chapter 1: Inherit Return

Evealyn watches the shadow of trees stretching over her window, the car driving along the hilly dirt road. The drive makes her feel as though she'd been wounded, it's hard to even recognise the road that she's on. Having wanted a change of pace, this is not what she had in mind for a change of pace. Learning that she was now the inheritor of her grandmother's estate. What surprises her most is her parents, who usually ever think about what could benefit herself. Wonders how its that they haven't pestered her to hand it over, only accepting the money and bits of real estate willed to them.

Calling it worthless to her face, and went off on some around the world trip somewhere with the money. Thoughts have been nothing but blur, staring at the cluster of trees, the shadows worsening her mood. Having not realized how hard she is tugging on her wrist band, "You know, tug any harder and I'm afraid it might go airborne." Evealyn stops staring up at the mirror, the driver noticing her eyes, they were like the forest of trees. That's if the forest were clouded over with an indiscernible fog. "Perk up kiddo else Joycln can't rest with you looking like that.''

"Would it be so bad if she were to wake up, Percy?" her voice being so devoid of emotion, with a hint of uncertainty in believing her own words. Evealyn had grown tired of seeing nothing but trees along the way. "Percy, are you sure we're on the right road."

"Don't tell me you've already forgotten the way to your own home ." In her memory, the path leading up should be clearer than this, and accessible to see the stars. "I remember there not being this many trees on the way there." Wondering if she misremembered, it had been twelve years after all. "The trees were all planted by Joyclyn." Grandma? she questions why would she plant so many trees around. "Are you sure grandma planted all these trees?" confused as it's so unlike her, as she always says dark places attract evil things.

"These were all planted for your next arrival." Surprised is an understatement as to what she was to do with so many trees. "That sounds very unlike grandma to be planting trees as an added gift." Percy, confused at first, never understood why she did it until; "That's due to her wanting her little squirrel to have a place to touch the stars."Evealyn feels embarrassed hearing her old nickname again. It makes her happy knowing grandma kept her promise to some extent.

Percy laughs, happy to see some emotion coming back to her face. The black iron gates come into view, as the dirt road turns to cobblestone. When the gates opened, Evealyn had hoped to be met with a familiar bright smile. Feeling a bit disappointed, that the guard and his post was nowhere to be seen. It crossed her mind that maybe he had retired and grandma must have had it automated from the inside. Though wasn't afraid to ask in the case he might be on vacation.

"Percy, what happened to Mr Charles?" He stayed quiet for a moment, making her feel uneasy, he then sighs; "He had gone to take a rest of his own." Believing maybe her hunch was correct, and was curious to know if he really did retire or was on vacation.

"It's good that he can enjoy his free time now, so has he retired or is he on vacation somewhere?"

"No Evealyn, like Joyclyn he's no longer with us," feeling her heart drop down to her stomach. Not able to bring herself into believing a word he had said, driving further away from the gates. She glanced back at the mirror as the gates were closing, for a brief moment believing she saw Mr Charles. He had let go of the gate he was closing to wave at her and smiled, "Look Percy, isn't that Mr Charles right there?"

 He looks at the mirror then back at her, "There's nobody there kiddo." Looking back and to her dismay, Mr Charles wasn't there like she thought. Afraid of what Percy might think, wondering if he might think of her as crazy. The expression on Percy's face doesn't calm her but it relieves at least a bit of worry. Percy's expression is like looking at a sad kitten drenched in the rain. Evealyn rests her head against the leather upholstery "Pull yourself together Evealyn nobody's there."