Chapter 13: What can't be said

Evealyn and Rae find themselves sitting on the suede living room couch hanging their heads in shame. As Percy stood there looking at them getting ready to scold them. Unable to understand why he found them coming out of the door with Evealyn leaning on Rae like a wounded soldier. "Mind explain what you were doing down there?" Percy asks, needing to know that at least. However both young women remain silent, not daring to look up.

"Aren't you going to answer?" Percy says in an authoritative tone. Seeing both of them flinch before sheepishly looking up, meeting Evealyn's gaze as he was talking directly to her. He can see the hourglass turn in her head as she tries coming up with a proper excuse. As she knows that whatever she says would land in her grandmother's ears through the man standing before her.

"We were just reading and lost track of time, that's all." Evealyn tries explaining and somewhat pleading with her eyes not to tell Miss Joyclyn about this. That would be a later matter for another time.

"I wasn't asking what Rae was doing I asked what you were doing." Percy says knowing that there is much more that she's not telling him.

"That's all I was doing honestly, you got to believe me Percy." Evealyn sounds a bit more pleading though he can't understand why. Was the truth so bad that she's desperately trying to make him believe her? However her desperation seems somewhat out of fear.

"Fine say you decide to go and read something but explain why you chose there specifically." Percy questions, not sure what she's desperately trying to hide. Did she encounter– No that's not possible she couldn't have. Then what could it be? It just doesn't make any sense why after years of being told not to enter the corridor did she decide to disobey now. Although stubborn at times she's been obedient for the most part. Knowing that there are certain bounds she must never cross. Even with her being aware of her abilities, this early stage is still very crucial.

"I'm not too sure myself, but there was no harm done." Evealyn says trying to downplay the fact she couldn't walk out without help from Rae.

"No harm done you say? Then explain why you're pale as a corpse." Percy points out her complexion, pale to the point her veins were visible.

"What do you mean Percy, I just haven't been getting enough sun honestly." Evealyn says making up another excuse.

"No kiddo, even those blood sucking parasites have more flush to their skin than this." Percy says seeing Evealyn look a bit agasp at what he'd just said. He didn't like the fact he couldn't find any better comparison either.

"Parasite?" Evealyn finds her words, Rae stifles a laugh knowing what Percy was referring to.

"I meant vampires kiddo." Percy says feeling disgusted to have the name of such a species come out of his mouth.

"Wait, Vanpires are real?" Evealyn questions in surprise and disbelief.

"Unfortunately so, but that's besides the point." Percy says not wanting to dwell on the subject anymore than they already have. What they were doing in there wasn't his biggest concern but something else much rather. However before he could ask to find out more Evealyn slumps down in the sofa almost limp. Rae setting Evealyn's pillow for her to make sure she's comfortable. "Ev, I'm going to see if Marianne has anything ready for you to eat." Rea says ready to get up.

"No need." Percy says stop her.

"Why not–" before Rae could finish Percy pointed to the direction of the doorway. Showing that Marianne was already making her way towards them.

"Ya know you need to stop doing that." Marianne says as she sets the tray down on the coffee table.

"What ever do you mean Marianne?" Percy says, rubbing the tired frustration out of his eyes.

"You know very well. Anyways what's got little lyn looking like a corpse over here?" Marianne asked, concerned as she's never seen her like that even when she was sick.

"Let's just say someone's curiosity sent them down a dangerous corridor." Percy says not hiding the disappointment in his voice.

"So that's what it was." Marianne understands now however, has questions of her own. "Now why would you go and do something so reckless.

Rae who was helping Evealyn with the food provided on the table. Has a hard time understanding why they keep calling it dangerous. As she's never had any problems before going to and from the Meridian before. "I wouldn't call it reckless as the meridian has always been a safe haven." Rae says, which makes Marianne and Percy look at her before shaking their heads. "It's not something you'd understand Rae." Percy says with a sigh but Rae is more curious as to what it is she doesn't understand. Feeling like she needs an explanation to know what's going on. "And what is it that a don't understand exactly?" Rae questions wanting them to tell her however Percy sighs.

"It's a Cheverian thing, it's not that easy to explain." Marianne says knowing that Percy is just upset and tired with the situation.

"You say it's a Cheverian thing, yet you both seem to know a lot more than you're letting on." Rae says as she finds it weird that they know yet she cannot.

"That's something we can't explain to you either love."

"And why not."

"Well that's under a whole different set of special circumstances." Marianne says however Rae is adamant.

"No, I can't just sit here and not know what's really going on." Rae says Marianne was about to explain why it's not possible when Percy stops her.

"Listen kid, there are just some things that just can't be explained." Percy says wanting to end this so that it doesn't end in one big mess later. Rae wanted to say something but Percy gave her a stern glare. Making him go tight lipped.

"Look, love we're not trying to keep anything from you willingly okay. I'm sure you understand." Marianne was trying to not let Rae feel bad about being scolded earlier. However sighs when she looks like a wounded sparrow that fell out of its nest.

"I'm going to go inform Joyclyn about this." Percy says turning to leave.

"No, don't." Evealyn says, making Rae and Marianne look at her confused.

"Sorry kid but she needs to know." Percy says as he can't keep something so crucial from Miss Joyclyn.

"Please don't tell Jose." Evealyn says Percy could see the pleading look in her eyes. Usually he's not easily swayed by her pleas. However for some reason he can't find it in himself to say no.

"Okay, fine I won't. But don't do anything like this again." Percy says as for now he's just going to keep this piece of information.

"Really, you won't." Evealyn says, sounding like she was minutes away from tears.

"That's what I just said." Percy says turning to leave again. Marianne also took her leave, having something else she needed to do. Leaving Rae with Evealyn to look after her.

Evealyn felt relieved as he sounded genuine when he said he wouldn't. Nevertheless wonders how long he will keep his word for as he's bound to tell her sometime later. There's a feeling that there might be some surveillance put on her to not go down the corridor. Right now she believes that focusing on a full recovery from whatever had happened to her was her top priority. Now being able to move her hands again to eat the quesadillas on her own.