8 | Friend

I was going to the library when I turned the corner and collided with someone. Stepping back, I found myself locking eyes with a pair of light brown eyes. It was only then that I recognized Chloe.

She bent down to retrieve the book that had slipped from my hands and handed it to me. "Sorry, I should've been more aware of where I was walking," she apologized.

"It's fine," I responded before stepping aside and continuing down the hall. The sound of footsteps behind me caught my attention, and upon turning around, I discovered her following me. "Do you want an apology or something?"

Shaking her head, she laughed. "For someone who looks so sweet, you're a complete asshole." Catching up to me, she added, "And besides, I wasn't following you, my locker is this way."

"Right," I responded a bit too quietly. Turning my head, I looked at her, noting her pretty features with brown eyes and straight black hair. She was about the same height as me, and I stood at exactly 5'4.

"Where are you going?" she suddenly asked, catching me off guard.

"To the library, I have a free period," I replied.

She nodded. "Can I join?"

Her question took me by surprise, I never expected those words to leave her mouth.

"Sure," I replied as we continued to the library.

I didn't want to be rude and tell her to go away, although I wasn't sure why she'd want to hang out with me. I've seen the type of people she usually hangs out with. And let's just say she's one of the "popular kids."

Reaching the library, we climbed the stairs and headed towards the back. Dropping our bags, we both settled on the couch.

Turning to face her, I asked, "I don't mean to be rude, but um...why did you want to join me?"

She offered a small smile. "I've noticed you around school and thought you could use a friend, seeing how you're alone most of the time."

I looked at her, taking in her words. "I don't need you to feel bad for me."

"It's not about feeling bad, I just figured getting to know you might be nice," she said. "Besides, you're too pretty to be a loner."

"How thoughtful," I chuckled. Perhaps trying to make a friend wouldn't hurt. I'd always wanted to, after all. Maybe this was my chance.

God, I sounded like a loser.

"Why are you always alone, anyway?" She glanced at me. "Are you like some serial killer or psychopath?" She joked.

I rolled my eyes. "No, I'm not. I've just always struggled with making friends."

"Yeah, I get that," she said, nodding in agreement.

"You get that?" I asked, surprised. "I've seen you around school, hanging out with a bunch of other people."

"Don't get me wrong, I hang out with quite a few people. However, I wouldn't label them as my close friends or even just friends," she explained. "They're more like acquaintances, you know?"

"At least you know people," I said.

"And now you do you too," she replied with a smile.

Her phone dinged, and she picked it up, carefully examining the screen. I watched as her eyes widened, and she let out a loud gasp.

"What happened?" I asked curiously.

"You're not going to believe this," she uttered. I could tell she was still in shock.