Proficiency Test

"Arthur, wake up!" Elijah's voice pierced through my slumber as he tugged at my arm. "Mmm, what is it, Mom? Just five more minutes," I mumbled, half-asleep and disoriented. My plea was met with an unyielding tug from Elijah, resulting in an ungraceful tumble from my bed onto the cool wooden floor. The jolt was a clear message: no more sleep.

"I've been trying to get you up for the last twenty minutes! If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were dead! Hurry up, our first lesson starts in fifteen minutes! I swear, if you make me late on my first day of school, I'll kill you," he warned, his frustration evident.

As I picked myself up, I couldn't help but smirk at his irate expression. "I'd like to see you try," I retorted with a light chuckle, the tension between us dissolving into the morning air. We quickly got dressed, racing against the clock, and dashed off to our first lesson.

As we stepped into the classroom, we were immediately met by a woman with short black hair, who appeared to be in her forties. Without sparing us a glance, she gestured toward the front left seats. "If you plan on succeeding in this academy, arriving a mere half-minute before the bell does not bode well," she remarked, her voice flat and cold. We exchanged a look before nodding in acknowledgment and heading to our designated seats, trying to ignore the laughter coming from a group of boys to our right.

Settling into our seats, we turned our attention back to the front, where the woman stood with an air of authority that demanded respect, despite her lack of formal introduction. "Today's first lesson will begin with a magic proficiency test," she announced, her tone matter-of-fact. "This is designed to assess your current level and potential in magic." Her words hung in the air, underscoring the seriousness of the academy's curriculum and the expectations placed upon us.

The room buzzed with a mixture of excitement and nervous energy as students shifted in their seats, whispering among themselves. I glanced at Elijah, noting the determined set of his jaw. It was evident that, like me, he understood the importance of this test—not just for our academic standing, but for our future prospects within the academy.

The woman, who still hadn't offered her name, began to distribute materials for the test. "Your initial challenge today will be a dual casting test. Please pair up and don the mana-enhanced garments I've distributed. Once you're ready, stand together to indicate your partnership." Following her instructions, we awkwardly slipped into the mana-enhanced attire over our uniforms. The garments were snug, trapping warmth yet allowing enough flexibility for swift movements.

After a brief moment of shuffling and whispered discussions among classmates, the room settled into pairs, each duo standing side by side in a silent declaration of readiness. The woman's gaze swept across the room, finally pausing on a pair positioned a few rows behind us.

"You two, state your names," she commanded, her voice calm yet carrying an undeniable chill. Her eyes fixed on a boy and a girl who seemed to brace themselves under her scrutiny.

"My name is Rodo, Ms.," the boy responded, his voice steady. His hair was notably longer than the girl next to him', giving him a distinct appearance.

"Z-aya," the girl beside him mumbled almost inaudibly, her nervousness palpable even from a distance.

"Speak with confidence, Zaya. In magic, as in life, your voice is your strength," she advised, her tone softening ever so slightly, betraying a hint of warmth previously unseen, to the surprise of quite a lot of students in the room.

The woman's gaze shifted to two boys who had been part of the earlier laughter, now standing a row in front of us to our right. "You two, state your names," she commanded, her voice cutting through the murmurs of the classroom.