Chapter Forty-Eight: Having it All

'I don't care what happens to these people,' thought William with a degree of self-hatred.

It was with this mindset that he had done all the things that he had done. He'd only just realized that the William Gabriel he thought he was...

William Gabriel the messiah was fiction.

Just like the book in his hand.

A perfect dream that was forever beyond reach. Pure fiction, really.

So, how do you approach fiction?

William Gabriel had it all.

So he reflected as he waited for Red. He had access to vast riches and had a distinguished military career at fifteen. His mentors were some of the most powerful people in the world, and he was on track to match and exceed them. Sitting at the table, he reflected as he saw Tef working; he had no choice of women.

If anything, he could choose several or all if he put his mind to it.

Or was that hubris in motion?

How utterly meaningless.

Wait, why was all that meaningless? Didn't he like having those things? Most people his age would kill for it.

And the memory of Nautus bothered him. Like so many others, his blood had spilled out like it had Tanith. Tavish had butchered him as Ashinin had her. Had he deserved as such? Perhaps William had no part in the act, but it was vile.

Tavish had made no promises, of course.

But slaying a helpless opponent like that...

Wrong.

It was wrong.

After getting her pay from Tef, Red sat down and tossed his share to him. William opened the bag to count it out, just in case. Why bother? What did he need to count every penny for? "And here is your share, William.

"In full.

"Alasa, fill this up, would you? I don't want to see the bottom of this mug."

Red seemed to be in a good mood. Privately, William wondered if Red would be in as good a mood if an angry mob set fire to this place. If the people of Harlenor were to piece together exactly how much Alasa probably knew...

Well, there would be a lot of blood. And Red would happily side with the highest bidder.

Which, of course, was why William was spending so much time out here working with Alasa. Someone had to make it clear that going after the elves was not acceptable. And High King Relma could not make any official announcements on the subject.

For an avatar of the Goddess of Love, she didn't seem to have a problem with bloodshed. Then again, neither had Safara.

"I'm glad you enjoy your ale so much," said Alasa, pouring more.

"I could drink this all day," said Red, swilling a large part down. "That's Antion Crowns for the bounty on Lura, Antion Crowns for the escort. And also a little extra for us taking out that fortress. This, my friend, is good business."

"I noticed as much," said William. "Unfortunately, by the time we get back into the field, our enemy will be moving."

"Relax," said Red. "Just follow the orders and take the cash. Don't run yourself ragged worrying about all the battles we'll fight later. Those are half the fun in this business.

"You like following orders, don't you?"

She leaned forward, and he felt the familiar presence of Safara's power, but more predatory. It was honed through Red, and he felt her coils were around him again.