The Beginning - part 5

I rush around my room in search for the book. Where did I put it? My heart is racing with confusion, excitement, and a little fear. However it's not fear for me but the little thing I found in the forest. I just keep imagining it being found by someone who's a little less excepting of- unfamiliar things. A memory rush's  into my head. A few years back when I was around 13 King Shawn's men found a pixie. They were believed to have gone extinct decades before, they were also known to be trouble makers. They wreaked havoc on any towns near by there homes and villages, some people say they would burn down the towns. While King Shawn is a strong, powerful, and kind king, he doesn't take lightly to  any threat. He tends to over react especially if it has to do with the city of Bale, the city I happen to live in, it's the center of trade for the kingdom. People say Shawn had a wizard, warlock, what ever you wanna call it, lock it in a magic cage. No one knows what really happened after that, some say it's still alive, others say it starved to death. If that's what they did to a pixie I'm not about to find out what will happen to that poor dragon. That memory starts to put me on edge. Where is that dammed book!?!? Then I see it, peaking out from beneath my bed. Of course. How could I forget. I grab the book and the bag the man at the library gave me. I grab another bag a few times bigger enough to fit. Well a small dragon. I open my door and rush down my stairs to the kitchen in the tavern, I begin rummaging through the cabinets before I find what I'm looking for. Meat, fresh too. I grab all different kinds and stuff it into the bag. I rush out the door.
"Evie."
I pause, taking a deep breath. I turn around and am meet with a tall man, his eyes hazel like mine, his frame is bigger but in a muscle kind of way, and he has scares from his countless cooking mistakes.
"Dad!"
"Where are you headed off too in such a rush? You and your sister just got home?"
"Oh uhh just have some errands to run!"
"Oh did your mother give you more? Didn't you do your share yesterday, it should be your sisters turn?"
"Uhh yeah! She gave them to me since Maisy is busy! I don't mind though, I have nothing better to do these days!"
I awkwardly laugh, avoiding eye contact as I do so. Im not a terrible lier, but my dad can read me like a book. As I'm looking down at my feet I feel his arms wrap around me bringing me into a hug.  I didn't except it, since we had fought only yesterday. Me and my dad are similar in our stubbornness and can go days without speaking before one of us gives in.
"Eve."
My childhood nickname. Only my family uses it now.
"You know I love you and all I wanna do is protect you."
He back up and puts his hands on my shoulders.
"If anything were to happen to you or your sister I would be a wreck, and so would your mother."
"I know."
"Then please, do me a favor."
A favor?
"Don't ask to be a soldier again."
Of course.
"Your mother can't take it, and neither can I. Please just drop it."
I look up and am met with those puppy like eyes. I can see where Maisy gets it from. Damn.
"Ok I won't. I promise. Can I go know, I'm quite busy?"
"Yeah sweet heart you can go."
I barely even finish my sentence before I am off, running down the cobble stone path, past people, and shops. I can feel eyes on me but I chalk it up to people wondering why I'm running so frantically through the streets this early in the morning. As I run my mind fills with questions and ideas about the dragon. I have to figure out how I get it to trust me. How to get it to leave with me. That's what the foods for but I'm unsure if it will work. The book only has so much information on dragons, it's believed they died long, long ago. Some say they never existed it was so long ago, but there is some proof of there former existence. Now however I have proof of their existence all together.
As I reach the forest the feelings of eyes are still on me. I whip my head back and forth as I walk through the forest listening carefully to the sounds around me. I come closer and closer to were the dragon was before. Please. Please, still be here! I begin to see its shape in the brush. Yes! Your- a hand grabs my shoulder.