Stike of Disaster - part 1

"Quicker!" Roman shouts at me.
I swing his sword at the dummy faster.
"Now your just getting sloppy." Leo says leaning on a wall.
"You can't sacrifice technique for speed, they need to work along side each other."
I step back to take a break.
"Have I improved at all over the last 2 months?"
"Yeah, but not good enough to not get your ass handed to you in front of your family. If you wanna prove you can be a soldier you need to fix- whatever that was." Roman waves his hand in my direction.
Asshole.
I look over at Orpheous who is snapping at mason in a playful manner. He's now at masons hip, when only a few months ago he barely passed his knee. I've learned now that mason is 6,2, Romans 6,1, and Leo is 6 feet almost 6,1. I stand at 5, 10 but I tell them 5, 11 to piss off Leo. Orpheus horns have grown out a bit but they still resemble the baby look. According to that book, dragons actually grow much faster than believed. They reach young adulthood around 1 year, however that's when their growth begins to slow allowing them to live as long as they do. I look out at the sun's position. Almost noon.
"I need to get going guys" I announce to the three of them.
I pick up my bag and walk over to Orpheus. I give him a gentle hug, something he allowed me and the others to start doing about a month ago. When I look back I see mason and roman grabbing their stuff as well.
"Wait. I thought it was your turn to watch Orpheus mason?" I look at Mason raising an eyebrow.
He looks at Roman then at me, an annoyed expression on his face.
"Something came up. Leo is gonna do it."
Leo begins to protest
"Hey! I never-"
Mason shoots him a look and he shuts his mouth. Wish he would do that more often. I look at Mason again.
"But you're watching him tonight right?"
"Yes. Stop asking me so many questions, I've got shit to do." He waves me off as he walks out with Roman following him.
"Who peed in his booze? Haven't seen him this annoyed since we first met." I look over my shoulder at Leo who's sprawled out on the hay bed I made for the boys to sleep on when it's there at night to watch.
"His step-dad is supposed to be coming to town, but he never shows up so I don't know why he's so pissed all of a sudden."
"Wait, the one that just got up and left him? Leaving him to live with Roman?" Curiosity strikes.
"Yeah that one."
"Why is he coming to town?" My curiosity is growing. They never tell me anything about themselves. All I know is that Roman was born in this city, Leo is here from another kingdom, and Mason is from a small village ways away from here, yet they all ended up living together in bale.
"None of our business." He smiles and rolls over.
And my curiosity is smashed once again. I walk towards the door, the sun greeting me with its warm rays when I walk through. I head out into the woods following the mental map I made. First real shift at the tavern. This should be fun.

"One ale, one stake, and a wine, coming your way!" I smile at the couple and head off to the kitchen. I look out the window on my way and see the sun is on its way down. Oh thank the gods. It's almost Maise's turn. I've been on my feet since noon and I think they may fall off. You start to notice that kind of pain when you're doing work that doesn't really interest you. I open the door.
"One stake!" I yell.
"Got it honey! That fish is ready!" My dad places the fish on the table, and turns back to cook the rest of the food.
"Mom can you make a ale and wine?"
"What kind of wine sweetie?"
"She said any!"
I grab the fish and rush out of the door again. I walk up to a table with a women and young boy.
"Here you are!" I say as I place the plate infront of the boy and offer a smile.
He smiles back and then begins devouring the fish as I run back to the kitchen. When I enter I see the ale and wine sitting on the counter, Maisy standing behind.
"You don't start for like another hour?" I tell her as I grab the drinks.
"Ehhh I got done with my errands early."
She opens the door for me and we walk outside.
"So you wanna start early? Help your sis out?" She walks behind me as we talk.
"Sure I can start a little early!"
"Well let me get-"
Shit! A hand grabbed my arm and I almost dropped the drinks I was carrying. I look at who grabbed my arm, ready to tear into them until I see who it is.
"Leo, what in the world?"
"We have to go now." His face is stern but there's worry in his voice.
"Why? what happened?" I lower my voice to a whisper.
"The barn."
Panic strikes like a punch to the stomach.
"There's no time to explain but we have to go now. I'll meet you out side."
He walks outside. I turn to Maisy who heard the whole thing I'm sure.
"Don't worry I got it, you go. Make sure he's ok."
She takes the drinks and moves her head in the direction of the door.
"Thank you!" I say as I run out.
When I get out of the tavern it's getting a little dark.
"We don't have much time let's go." Leo and I start running in the direction of the woods entrance. Please be ok. Please be ok!

As we get closer to the barn the sharp pain in my side grows stronger. We haven't stopped running since we left the tavern, and now I can see why. The air is filled with smoke, the sun is barley peaking over the trees but yet the woods are still lit. The fire from the barn you can almost see over the trees. We come up on the barn and ash is flying through the air, parts of the barn are beginning to fall, and the heat is intense.
"The guards will be here any time now we need to figure out how to get Orpheus." Leo tells me.
he's barely breathing hard at all, which kinda makes since.
We run up and duck down below a near by rock.
"Fuck how do we get in there? Is there any kind of safe entrance?" I ask Leo.
"I don't see one that's safe enough. You could enter through there but there's a high chance it will close up if that beam falls. You'll be stuck if it does." He is scanning over the barn as he talks, the panic seems to be reaching him now. Screw this we're losing time and fast.
I stand up and start around the rock heading towards the barn. I'm stopped by Leo's hand.
"What the fuck do you think your doing!" He is looking at me with anger and nervousness. He's looking at me with- care?
"I'm getting my fucking dragon. Let go Leo."
"No! Your not going in there! When Roman and -"
"NO! I have to go now! Who's knows where they are?!? They could be miles away!?!?" I grab my arm and start pulling from his grip.
I keep pulling as Leo pleads for me to stay.
"There gonna be pissed if I let you die!"
"I'm gonna be pissed if you let Orpheus die without letting me try to save him!"
I'm still yanking at my arm each time harder and harder. When did he get so damn strong.
"Let go!" I yell at him.
I yank my arm one more time. Pop.
Damn that hurt! Leo let's go of my arm. He must have heard or felt the pop in my wrist.
"I'm sorry-" he starts.
I take off before he talks any more. As I run up I see soldiers running up but I ignore them as I head towards the small hole. Beam hasn't fallen yet I should be fine! I start to crawl through looking around before committing. No site of him he must be hiding. I take my first step in when someone grabs me and starts dragging me away.
"Let go! Let go of me now Leo, before I throw you in that damn fire!" I scream and yell kicking my feet to get away. The persons arms are under my arm pits dragging me like I'm a doll. I look at the building getting slightly farther and farther. When I look over to were the soldiers were they now reached the barn.
"They're gonna find him! We're gonna lose him!" I start beating the persons hands. My wrist stings with every blow but I don't care. Shit! Shit! Shit! We reach the edge of the woods. I do the last thing I can think of. I open my mouth, twist my body, and bare down on the persons arm.
"FUCK!" The person yells.
I hit the ground and look up at who I thought was Leo. Instead of being met with deep brown eyes and brown hair, I'm met with blond curls and emerald green eyes. Pissed emerald green eyes.
"Mason! Why did you drag me away!?" I stand up and start back at the barn.
"Because you were gonna get yourself killed." Roman says grabbing my arm and dragging me back.
"All for a dragon who is right where you taught him to go!" He looks pissed when I meet his eyes.
He throws my arm down and points at a spot behind a bush. The bush I taught Orpheus to go to if anything bad happened, the spot he sits now staring at me with confusion.
"I didn't think he would listen." I say looking back at Mason and Roman.
"Yet it was the last placed you checked. Use your brain next time please." Roman says waving at Leo who is running up to were we are.
"And refrain from biting me again." Mason stares at his hand examining it for skin breakage.
"Guys." Leo has now reached us and his breathing a little harder than before.
"We need to go. The soldiers think we burned down the barn. They're headed here now." He says pointing back at the barn.
Sure enough a group of 8 soldiers is running in our direction. They're yelling for us to put our arms up and walk into the open. I look down at Orpheus and debate on what to do. If we step out they'll find him, but if we run we will most likely be wanted. I look at Roman, Mason, and Leo who are staring at me. Guess it's up to me.
"Fuck it. Let's go." I say signaling to Orpheus to follow.
We start booking it through the woods, Roman runs to the lead. That pain in my side is back and stronger than ever, my wrist aches, and under my arms hurt from being dragged. But I can't stop running, I won't stop running until it's safe.
"This way." Roman takes a turn.
We twist and turn through the woods, it's completely dark but our eyes have adjusted enough to keep a steady pace. Soon the noise of soldiers fade off but we don't stop.
"Where are we going?" I call up to Roman.
"Plan B." Mason answers.
"What is plan B?" I ask, using all my breath to do so.
"It's a place we can stay until this all dies down." Leo says back.
"Where is it located?"
"In the walls." Roman answers.
The walls?!? Like in the kingdom!?!?