Strike of disaster -Part 3

"So where are we headed?" I ask Roman.
We're walking in a single file line. Roman at the front, me, Leo, Mason, and then Orpheus is beside us running in between trees and bushes jumping around like a puppy. A really dangerous puppy. The sun is now officially up but we have been walking since sunrise.
"If I'm gonna be honest I'm not sure." He stops and looks around as he says it. As if maybe it will lead him, well somewhere.
I put my hand on his back.
"How about we rest?" I say.
He walks away from my hand and sits on a tree that's fallen on its side. Welp guess that's my answer.
Leo sits down, leaning up against the log on Roman's right. Mason wonders off and I don't dare argue or stop him. I take a seat on Roman's left, leaning up against the log like Leo's doing. I watch Orpheus continue to run around, jumping up and down as if he didn't just burn his home down and cause us to go on the run.
"What do you think caused it?" Leo asks, his eyes now open watching Orpheus.
"I'm not sure. He hasn't started breathing fire or anything yet." I answer.
"And when is that supposed to start? Your fancy book has to say something about it?" Leo taps my bag.
"Well I'm not sure Orpheus' exact age so I can't really say. Fire breathing and other things start around the age he becomes a dragonet, which is in between hatching and juvenile. From his size I can say he's still in hatching age, when he reaches dragonet he'll be larger than us."
"Other things?" Leo turns to me.
"There are different kinds of dragons. Orpheus is a shadow dragon from what I can tell, I could be wrong. The main ones humans know most about are fire, water, and ice. As I read more though I learned of earth, electricity, wind, shadow, and light. There may be more but the page that continues them and goes more in depth is missing..."
"Cool so which ones the strongest?"
Leo sits up, but is swiftly put back by Roman knocking him in the head.
"Didn't you hear what she said? The more in depth page is missing! Sounds like someone didn't wanna forget that information..."
"Or wanted to hide it..." Leo looks at my bag.
"Can I see it? The book?"
"Wow didn't know you were the type to read?" I smile, trying not to laugh.
"Haha. You so funny. Hand the book over." He says putting his hand out.
I open my bag and take the book out. The beautiful dragon silhouette curving on the front. I place it in his hand and he studies it. He doesn't open it, just stares at it.
"Didn't you say king lane himself read this?" He turns to me.
His eyes are filled with a curiosity. No. Eagerness, like he needs this information to confirm something. A hand is placed onto his shoulder.
"Don't get yourself worked up. She said that's what the clerk told her, and you know the stories they tell so their books will sell." Roman looks at me.
"Am I right?" He raises an eyebrow like I should know how to answer. How does he want me to answer? Is there a right answer? There's only one answer, so I hope it's the right one.
"Yeah... that's what he told me." I turn to Leo whose eagerness has seemed to die with my answer.
"Dammit." He shakes off Roman's hand and places the book back in my bag.
"What's the big deal? What would have happened if it did belong to him?" I ask.
"It's not important." Roman answers.
"It could be connected to my parents deaths." Leo is staring up into the forest watching Orpheus again.
Is he opening up to me. My eyes are wide from the surprise of him telling me that, and from the surprise. That his parents are dead. Both of them.
"Leo you didn't have to tell her that." Roman puts his elbows on his knees and places his face in his hands.
"It's really not that big of a deal. She's gonna figure out about it anyways, same with you and Masons little heroic stories. Might as well distract her with mine first." He looks at me.
"All I'm gonna say for now is my parents died when I was around 11. And that's why I ended up coming to your kingdom, though it wasn't 100% by choice." He stands up and crosses his arms.
"However it was the best thing to happen to me since my parents passing." He smiles.
Roman looks up at him and begins to act as if he's blushing.
"Awww come on man don't embarrass me like this. I know I'm great and all..."
"Shut up. Mason was the best thing to happen to me dumbass." Leo starts walking after Mason, as Roman stands up in protest to his comment. I didn't even notice that Mason was kneeling next to a small stream not far ahead of us. Is he drinking the water?!? I call Orpheus to my side and we walk over. And to my surprise-
"You three are going to get sick." I say watching the other two bend down next to Mason. He looks up at me.
"It's running water, it's the cleanest you'll find out here. The water is also crystal clear. I would rather take my bets with this water than die of thirst." He starts drinking again.
I bend down next to Leo, we are all now in a row bent down beside the stream. I cup my hands and begin to drink the water. It's cold, each sip helps quench the thirst I was unaware I had. A refreshing sensation drapes over my body. As I drink I hear a noise next to me, I look over to see Orpheus poking his head into the river too. His claws are gripping the edge of the bank as he reaches for the water. I pull his head back up and cup my hands to get water for him. Wouldn't want the boys getting second hand dragon slobber. I laugh as Orpheus drinks from my hands his nose pressing up against them. I dip my hands getting more water, as I do I look at the three boys next to me. Mason is hovering over Roman as Leo tries not to ruin the surprise waiting for Roman. Oh no. He's screwed.
Splash!
"Dammit!! What the fuck guys!" Romans face is covered in water and it's begin to soak onto his shirt. He pushes Leo's face towards the water as he pleads for forgiveness.
"It was Mason!!!" Leo yells.
Romans head turns to Mason who is already up and walking through the forest. Roman grabs his bag and runs towards him yelling for him to get out his sword and fight him like a real man. Leo is chasing after screaming something about protecting someone's honor. What a bunch of idiots. I look at Orpheus who looks ready to run after them. I nod, as soon as I do he's off. I stand up grabbing my bag.
"Idiot." I say as I look down.
I grab Leo's bag which he left behind in his fit of loyalty. It isn't as heavy as mine and I heave it over my shoulder beginning to walk after them. If this is what I have to deal with, this is gonna be one hell of a journey.