Shown The Mirror

Since Shyam wasn't in town, Khushi felt so much more relaxed at home. Neither her mother, nor Payal allowed her to do much, so she had been lazing around the house since morning. She decided she would leave for Shantivan a little later than she usually did. She noticed that Madhumati was being unusually silent, and also kept looking at her with an unreadable expression on her face, but every time Khushi tried to ask her what was wrong, she would just shrug her shoulder and walk away.

After a while, curiosity got the better of her, she walked up to Payal, who was setting up the breakfast table, she stopped next to her, craned her neck, satisfied that Madhumati was in the kitchen, she leaned in closer to Payal, "Jiji" she whispered "haan?" (Yeah?) Payal turned towards Khushi 

"Buaji ko kya hogaya hai aaj.. koi baat nahi kar rahi hai.. aur subah se hume kisi cheez ke liye daanta bhi nahi.. itni khamosh kyun hai?" (What happened to Buaji today? She isn't talking.. and from morning she hasn't scolded me for anything.. Why is she so silent?) Payal looked over her shoulder at Madhumati, who was busy in the kitchen, refilling the lentils jar, "Kal se Buaji aise hi hai" (She has been like that since yesterday) Payal whispered

"kyun? Hum bemaar pad gaye the isiliye?" (Why? because I fell ill?) Khushi asked doubtfully and Payal shook her head, she turned towards the kitchen once more to see if Madhumati was still busy "hum tumhe bataana bhool hi gaye the... Kal Arnavji yahan aaye the" (I had forgotten to tell you.. Yesterday Arnavji had come here)

"KYAAA?" (WHAAT?) Khushi shouted, Payal's eyes widened, the two of them turned to the kitchen and took a deep breath of relief when they saw that their aunt was still oblivious to everything. Payal slapped Khushi's arm and gestured at her to keep her volume down, Khushi nodded her head then stepped closer to Payal so they could converse in whispers "Arnavji yahan aaye the?" (Arnavji came here?) Payal nodded, "humse milne?" (To meet me?) Payal nodded again.

Khushi got a funny feeling in her stomach, he had come to see her? Just because she was unwell... Then she rolled her eyes "yeh dekhne aaya hoga ke hum sach mai bemaar hai ya natka kar rahe hai" (He might have come to see if I was really ill or faking it) Payal slapped her arm again "dhat! Pagli!" (Crazy!) Khushi pouted and rubbed her arm "tum hamesha unke baare mai aisi ulti seedi baatein kyun karti rehti ho? woh kitne ache hai.." (Why do you always keep saying such negative things about him? How good he is..) Payal had a new founded respect for Arnav after he had questioned Madhumati.

Khushi placed her palm on Payal's forehead, Payal moved her head back and looked at Khushi incredulously "Jiji... Tumhe tho bukhaar bhi nahi hai.. tho phir aisi ajeeb baat kyun kar rahi hai" (Jiji.. you don't even have a fever.. then why are you speaking so strangely?) Payal narrowed her eyes, Khushi gave a cheeky smile "Jiji.. humse zyada tum hi unpe gussa rehti thi.. ab achanak kya hogaya ke woh tumko ache lagne lage?" (Jiji.. More than me, you have always been angry at him.. now what happened suddenly to make you start liking him?) Khushi placed her hands on her hips and playfully scrunched her eyes, making Payal shake her head.

Payal gave Khushi a full detailed account of what ever happened the previous day, Khushi was really taken aback, Arnav offered to buy her medicines and had fought Buaji for her sake?? Why would he do that?? You really don't know? Her subconscious questioned her

She looked towards the kitchen again, she saw Madhumati's thoughtful expression and wondered if his words made her rethink her decision.. if so, then she would have to be grateful to him.. she looked at Madhumati again, and this time she felt irked.. who was he to talk to her aunt like that?