The Penny Dropped

Once Khushi stepped out of the washroom, Arnav removed his blazer, and got to work. He looked at all the products she showed, that would help him to 'clean' his clothing and sighed. Shaking his head, he opened the tap and held the blazer under the running, scrubbed it well and then wrung out the excess water. 'This would have to do for now' he thought to himself, but the blazer still felt very heavy, so he continued to wring out the water until his hands couldn't take it anymore. He shook out the blazer, it felt relatively less damp, happy with his handy work, he stepped out of the bathroom. He was surprised to see the hallway empty 'Khushi kahan gayi?' (Where did Khushi go?) he thought to himself as he craned his neck to look around, and that was when he heard her voice coming from somewhere inside the house "Humaare raaste se hatiye Shyamji" (Move out of my way Shyamji)

She sounded angry... before Arnav could contemplate if he should go looking for her or just silently leave the house without letting her know, he heard Buaji's raised voice, reprimanding Khushi for her behaviour, and that irked him. He knew that if he stayed there, he would definitely loose his temper, so he decided it was best he just walk out, he could send Khushi a text to let her know that he had left.

Just as he was about to step out of the threshold of her house, he heard a man's voice.. it sounded all too familiar, Arnav almost froze with one leg mid air. He slowly turned around "Yeh awaaz" (This voice) he gulped, "Yeh Jeejaji ki awaaz jaisa lagta hai" (This sounds like Jeejaji's voice) his heart started pounding so loud as he took slow steps towards the direction from which the sound was coming, his ears and brain capturing every single word that was being uttered. He sucked in a breath when the three people came into his view, His brother in law, who was supposed to be out of Delhi for a case, was standing right there, his face turned towards Madhumati, a smile on his face. Khushi was standing in front of him, her back facing Arnav, her hands fisting the ends of her shawl.

"AAP???" (YOU??) Arnav called out loudly, and he saw the smile vanish from Shyam's face and panic set in, even though he hadn't turned forward yet. Khushi and Madhumati turned to look at him, but his eyes were focused only on the man standing a few feet away from him. He saw Shyam gulp and slowly turn his head forward "Aap yahan kya kar rahe hai?" (What are you doing here?) Arnav asked as he took slow and measured steps towards the trio.

Khushi blinked in confusion, Arnav knew Shyam? How? She watched him walk ahead, and he came to a stop only when he was right next to her, she could feel the heat of his body on her arms. "Arey Arnav Babua.. tum inhe jaanat ho?" (Hey Arnav, you know him?) Khushi heard her aunt's voice, but her focus was on the man next to her. Arnav gave a curt nod to answer Madhumati's question, but his eyes were trained on Shyam, who looked like a deer caught in the head light. 

Arnav could literally see Shyam's body tremble "Arey Shyam babua, tumne kabhi hume bataya hi nahi ke tum Arnav Babua ko jaanat ho" (Oho! Shyam, you never told us that you knew Arnav) Madhumati said with a smile, not understanding the graveness of the situation, she then turned to Arnav "Babua.. yehi tho hai.. Khusi ke mangetar" (Dear, he is the one.. Khushi's fiancé) She introduced him with pride, Shyam saw his life flash before his eyes, when Arnav took a step forward "Aap Khushi ke mangetar hai?" (You are Khushi's fiancé?) Arnav didn't raise his voice, but his tone alerted Khushi that all hell was about to break loose, and she didn't understand why, she looked at Shyam, his eyes kept darting as if he was finding a way to escape, What was happening Khushi wondered to herself as she watched everything with a baited breath.

It was now that Madhumati realised something was seriously wrong, she looked between the two men, one had a murderous glare while the other looked like he would wet his pants second. "Kya hua Babua? koi pareshani hai kya?" (What happened dear? Is there a problem?) Madhumati asked softly, touching Shyam's arm, while Shyam stood almost paralysed as he was blocked from all 4 sides. Khushi was in front of him, the kitchen cabinet was at the back, while Madhumati and Arnav were on either side. "MAINE AAPSE KUCH PUCHA.." (I ASKED YOU SOMETHING..) Arnav shouted out loud making the other three jump, his voice had Garima and Payal rushing out of Sashi's room, they looked at the scene and then turned to one another with confusion written all over their face.