Flutters and Stings

The lunch at the Gupta household was a super awkward one, Garima and Payal kept openly ignoring Shyam, while he kept trying to engage them in a conversation, they either answered him in monosyllables or spoke to each other about something totally unrelated to what Shyam was talking about. Though their behaviour irked Madhumati, she stayed silent, because she didn't want to further ruffle their feathers, she had an ulterior motive in mind - to bring up the topic of Khushi's marriage tonight when Khushi returned home, and for that she needed the family to not be upset or angry with her. 

Madhumati for her part couldn't understand where all this dislike.. no, it wasn't merely dislike, she would go as far to say it was almost bordering on hatred, for Shyam was coming from. Was it because Khushi had fallen so ill immediately after the talks of the wedding had happened? or was it because Shyam had suggested a small wedding? To Madhumati neither of those reasons warranted such behaviour, Khushi was up hale and healthy the very next day, and Shyam's suggestion was obviously not done with any wrong intent, the good man knew of their financial situation and the the family should be glad he isn't asking for any dowry and demanding a lavish wedding. Madhumati sighed and gestured at Shyam to have his food, she gave him a reassuring smile which he returned.

After completing his lunch, Shyam went into his room, the behaviour of Garima and Payal had been grating on his nerves, but he had to put on a smile and sit through all of it. "Pehle Shadi ho jaane do.. phir un dono ko dikha dunga ke hum kaun hai! un dono ke itni himmat! humse aise bartaav karne ki" (First let the wedding happen.. Then I will show those two who I am! How dare they behave this way with me) He banged his hand on the mattress "Agar hum unhe humaare pairon mai gir kar maafi na mangvaya, tho humaara naam Shyam nahi!" (if I don't make them fall on my feet and seek my apology, then my name is not Shyam) He said wringing his hands together in anger.

Once the table was cleared, Garima and Payal went into Sashi's room, they knew if they stayed any longer in ber company, Madhumati might try to bring up the topic of Shyam. Once they settled Sashi on the bed Payal turned to Garima with a thoughtful expression "Amma.. hume lagta hai aaj Buaji phirse Khushi ke shadi ke baare mai baat karegi.." (Amma.. I feel that Buaji will bring up Khushi's marriage tooic again today) Garima nodded her head as she pulled up the sheet to cover Sashi's legs "Lekin Amma.. Khushi ko iss rishte mai bilkul bhi diljaspi nahi hai.. kya hum kisi bh tarha yeh shadi ko rok nahi sakte?" (But Amma.. Khushi doesn't have any interest in this relationship.. Can't we stop this wedding by any means?) Garima sighed.

If she was being honest, she would really love to do that.. but she just didn't know how to, she had tried talking to Madhumati quite a few times, but the older woman didn't seem to budge from her decision. The guilt that she had after the Raizadas visit had completely vanished when Shyam made a special visit the next day. It was engraved in her heart that Shyam loved Khushi alot, which neither Garima nor Payal believed anymore, but even if that was the case, shouldn't the fact that Khushi - the daughter of the house, not having any feelings for the man be reason enough to rethink the decision? Garima closed her eyes "Devi Maiyya.. humaari madad karo.. kisi bhi tarha, koi bhi chamatkaar se iss shadi ko rok do.. humaari bachi ki zindagi bacha do Devi Maiyya" (Devi Maiyya.. Please help me.. Somehow through some miracle, stop this marriage.. Save my child's life Devi Maiyya) she prayed desperately, with tears rolling down her cheek, Payal too closed her eyes and prayed for the well-being of her sister. What Garima didn't know was that her prayers have already been answered, and the miracle she had been waiting for was just around the corner.

***

Arnav pulled up next to Khushi's house, Khushi crouched down a little and looked around to see if Payal was anywhere to be seen, Arnav didn't understand her need for being so dramatic all the time. 'Nautanki' (Drama Queen) he thought to himself and quickly alighted the vehicle, he walked around to the passenger side of the vehicle. By then Khushi had unbuckled herself and was about to open the door, but he beat her to it. Khushi watched his face in amazement, he hadn't been this chivalrous towards her in... Well.. Forever.. She had of course seen him treat his sister with all this chivalry, but she had never been on the receiving end of it. Every other time he had held the door open for her was not out of chivalry, but out of anger.