11: Haldryn - Chimera

Why did Rune's heart skip a beat when I brushed her? I think I know, deep down, why. But I just ignore that.  I can't be right.  No.

But nows not the time to think of that, because as soon as the dyrewolves disperse, I sense what Zariah was talking about. The five of us walk together through the Halveer forest, and I morph into my wolf form. I walk ahead of them, sniffing the air.

I turn back to them, then point toward the direction I sense the approaching force. The others hurry after me, and we run through the woods. When we break free of Halveer, I morph back and point ahead toward the river. And on the other side of said river, is a creature that I've never seen before.

"What the hells is that?" asks Malik.

"No...." Rune whispers.

"What's wrong?" Zariah asks her.

There are six creatures on the other side of the river, and each are an amalgamation of many different creatures. And the one in front, a combination of a panther, a raven, and a bear, snarls as it steps closer to the riverbank. It unfurls its massive, feathered wings wide.

"Oh no, "  Rune whispers. She backs up a step, but shakes her head and stands her ground. "Those are the monsters that the Augurs created to kill us."

"What? How did .... what?" Malik asks.

"What do we do? How do we know they're after us?" Zariah asks, keeping her eyes on the six creatures.

Suddenly, one of the creatures behind the leader tosses its head back, screeching into the early morning sky. The sounds of distant screams echo through the woods, and I clench my fists tight. We are in for another fight, I bet.

The air shifts, and I glance at Rune.  "Well, Alpha? What do you say we do?"

She does not take her eyes off the lead creature.  "We fight."

I crack my knuckles and nod.  "I figured as much."

Malik rolls his shoulders and raises his fists. "Wolf time."

"Yeah, well, I've always wanted to fight some kind of unholy abomination," says Zariah.

I look to Rune once more. She is ready, ready to fight. And I know she will die to protect us. But I don't think that the Pack she'd just become the Alpha of were the only ones who wanted her dead. Especially if what she says about these things being Augur-made is true.

"Can we even fight these things?" asks Malik.

"We have no choice," says Rune. She sighs. "Zariah, Malik. You two .... you have a choice. You may leave."

"What of me?" I ask, chuckling. "Nah, I'm staying with you."

"You're mad if you think we are leaving you," snaps Zariah.

"Amen," mutters Malik.  "We are here for our Alpha, until the end, if need be."

"But I do not want you to die, especially not for me," she says. She coughs, then looks at me.  "Please. Go."

"No," I say. I step closer to her.  "I'm not going anywhere, and that is fucking final."

"Yes," says Malik.  Zariah nods.

Rune smiles, tears in her eyes, she faces the creatures, and unleashes her ghostwolf form. I morph next, and then Malik and Zariah do, too. We face off against the strange creatures, which leap across the river in one big leap, and pounce upon us.