13: Lillian - Incantor

The hawk Chimera and I escape from the house together. I take her back to my home, and as we walk in, Rava meets us at the door. She looks at me, then sees the hawk Chimera behind me. The girl behind me hugs herself tight, and does not look at any of us. She keeps her gaze on the floor.

"You're safe here," I tell her. "No one will harm you. I promise you that much."

She nods, swallowing audibly. She follows me and Rava into the foyer, and as soon as we enter, Kaz, a male Warlock, is sitting on the love seat. Freezing in place, the hawk girl gasps and stumbles back into the wall. Kaz looks up, and I turn to her.

"Are you okay?" I ask her.

But her eyes are locked on him. She does not move or speak. And only my Nameless Goddess knows of what she's been through, beyond the death of her child. But it's clearly obvious that she's afraid of men, even ones like Kaz. He stands up, but falters when she flinches and shrinks back.

"Hey, you're okay," I murmur softly.  She looks at me finally and gulps. "What's your name? I'm Lillian, you can call me Lilly."

Her eyes lock back on Kaz. She looks to be shaking. Hard. And she is terrified of him. I'd tell him to leave, but Kaz would have to pass by her to leave the room. She just stares wide-eyed at him, not speaking but shaking so much her teeth chatter.

"Lillian," the girl whispers softly. She looks at Rava beside me with a sad look. Her lips quiver. "I'm.... I'm Kyne."

"Kyne." I smile at her. "We are all friends here. Kaz will not hurt you. He is the kindest person I've ever met."

Kyne's green eyes dart between us. "I ... "

Rava steps closer to my side.  "I'm Rava. It's nice to meet you — why don't you come with me? I can show you the place. I'm sure you'll find a friend or two."

Kyne looks at her. "O- okay."

And the two of them leave the room, and I turn back to Kaz. "I'm sorry, she's been through something traumatic. It isn't anything you have done."

He nods. "Okay, it's okay."

Then, Kaz leaves the room, and I sit down on the couch across from the love seat. I take a shuddering breath and rub my face. Rescuing Etherealites from the humans who abuse them is not easy. But it is something I must do, because no one else will.

I end up climbing the stairs to my bedroom in the compound. I walk into the room, closing the door, I turn and flop into the bed. I'm exhausted, and I wish I could sleep for a week. But as my eyes drift shut, and my heart rate slows, I wonder what horrors I'll see next.