Chapter 44

I don't want peace I want problems - Sincerely from your fav Wattpad (hopefully one day traditionally published) author

Alayna ran the streets of Moscow, knowing she was an easy target.

He could have snipers positioned anywhere; she had no shield.

With every step she took, she prayed that Mikhail would be able to find her.

And God granted her immediately.

A sharp corner caused the two lovers to bump into each other.

First shrouded in fear, then with relief.

She embraced him first, to which he slowly reciprocated.

"Do you know?" She asked, even though she knew he had knowledge.

"Yes. I'm so sorry." He buried his face in her neck and pulled her closer.

"I love you so much, Alayna, and I am so sorry for putting you through this. You deserve the world's treasure. You deserve so much. I love you, and I love our son. There's so much I wish I could have done for you."

In a flurry of actions, he was kneeling on the floor, grasping her knees.

She couldn't even register what had happened; one moment they were hugging, and the next he flipped her around, taking the bullet.

He bellowed in pain, tears flowing.

"I love you, Alayna; you made my life worth living."

She was stunned; this had to have been a nightmare.

She dropped to her knees, her eyes unmoving from the only man she had ever loved.

And with that thought, she lunged into action. She took the scarf from around her neck, wrapped it around his torso to stop the blood flow, and screamed for help.

She managed to gather some people, who called an ambulance.

But all she could focus on was cradling his head.

"Don't die, please." She whispered to him.

"This is my requital. I told you I'd make it up to you. This is the only way."

"No! Mikhail, you idiot! No, it's not." She weeped. "You can't leave me like this!"

"I loved you more than myself. I loved more than my heart could contain. I loved you as a humble man, Alayna; please don't forget it."

His eyes were drooping shut.

He was surrendering to the darkness; he had already surrendered his love.

This was the end.

Mikhail lay on the pavement on a random street in her childhood city, with Alayna trying to keep the fabric taut even though he was gone, while weeping for a love that had salvaged yet ruined her.

Soon enough, he was being taken from her, and she watched with her hands covered in his blood.

She watched his eyes pry open slowly, and he gave her a small smile, telling her she'd be okay.