CHAPTER FIVE song: it almost worked — tv girl

CHAPTER FIVE
song: it almost worked — tv girl

HER MOM CALLED her name from downstairs. She even flinched at the sound, as if hearing her mother pronouncing it triggered her. Whatever it was that she wanted, it didn't seem to be good. She sighed as she dragged herself off her bed, leaving the book she was reading on her side table.

Her mind rushed with ideas of what it could be that her mom, Joanna, wanted to talk about with her. Rachel immediately thought about the 'cigarette incident' being exposed. Or worse. Her escape from detention along with Kai. Both of those options made her stomach hurt, already imagining her religious mother's reaction and the punishment she'd receive.

She made it downstairs, her legs a little bit shaky as she walked towards her mother, who was breastfeeding Rachel's youngest brother sitting on a chair.

"Rachel, sit down" said Joanna gesturing at the chair in front of her. She did as her mother said "I just got a call from school."

Rachel gulped "Oh. Did something happen?" She tried to act innocent, hoping there was a way for her to duck out of the situation.

Joanna frowned "I don't know, you tell me." But before Rachel could confess, she continued "You don't have to pretend with me, I'm your mother." She sounded worried rather than angry.

Maybe it had nothing to do with her latest... adventures.

"I know, I'm sorry." Rachel responded, even though she didn't really know what she was apologizing for. She just wished to go back upstairs.

"It's okay, sweetheart." she sighed "The principal told me about how you stormed off from Mary Anne's tribute, and considering how this summer you attempted to..." She couldn't say the words out loud "Your father and I are worried." Yet her dad wasn't even around to have that talk. "We pray for you every day. And for Mary Anne too. And we're paying for therapy and we're trying a bunch of other things that people at church recommended to us... What else can we do for you?"

Rachel pressed her lips together. That was definitely not what she had expected to be talking about but she felt relieved that Mr. Rogers hadn't mentioned anything about her behavioral issues.

Even though Joanna was somewhat in a 'good mood', Rachel was horrified about the outcome if she'd ever found out about everything she had done the past few days. Her parents were strict. Very strict. They wanted perfection in all ways achievable, which was a very high expectation to meet when it came to Rachel.

Academically she wasn't doing bad but she wasn't doing good either, she had pretty average grades. On the social side, she only had Amy now. And her parents would freak out if they knew Rachel was hanging out with someone like her. They'd say something like 'she worships the devil' and forbid Rachel from seeing her friend again.