CHAPTER SIX song: somebody's watching me — rockwell

CHAPTER SIX
song: somebody's watching me — rockwell

THANKFULLY, THE CONVERSATION Rachel had with her family at dinner time was a lot calmer than the one they had before. Her dad came home from work in a good mood and it felt like no one wanted to ruin that so Joanna and Imogen didn't bring up their discussion with Rachel to the table. But he would find out eventually, which scared her. Her mother was bad, but her dad was so much worse. The punishments, the way he talked to them, his inability to empathize... Rachel didn't remember a time where she wasn't terrified of him. Of her own father.

She knew he didn't like them. He had never wanted to have girls even though he took a special interest in Imogen as she grew up due to how talented she was in every aspect. Rachel saw right through her older sister. The effort and thought behind her every move to impress him and her mother. It certainly worked for her. But never for Rachel. Or Grace. Or little Sarah.

Now that he finally got a son, he seemed to be happier.

After cleaning the table, she went back upstairs with Grace. They had a strict timetable so they had to get ready for bed in twenty minutes after dinner.
As Rachel put on her pajamas and Grace combed her hair for the fifth time in the past few hours, she heard a pebble hit their room's window.

They looked at each other, confused.

"Are you expecting someone?" Rachel questioned.

"Uh-uh" Grace shook her head "Are you?"

"Nope."

She opened the window and looked down just to see Amy standing in the darkness of their garden with a big smile on her face. "It's Amy" Rachel said to Grace, who was the only one who knew about their friendship. Then, she lowered her voice to talk to the girl "What are you doing here?"

"Come down." Amy gestured, speaking in the same whispery voice "I have to show you something."

"What— Now?" Rachel frowned.

"Yeah, come on." Amy rushed her.

Rachel turned to Grace "Will you snitch on me if I leave?"

Grace scoffed, raising her eyebrows "That'd be Imogen, not me. Go and have fun doing whatever it is that you do. Just don't come home late."

Rachel nodded giving her sister a smile. She quickly took her pajama's shorts off and put on her mom jeans. She didn't even bother to take the upper part off, she just messily slid her sweater over her head before putting her boots on and climbing out the window.

It was a little high considering her room was on the second floor, but she had always managed to come down without a scratch. She usually would hold on to the roof and the few stones that protruded from her house facade.

Finally, she made it to the ground. Amy ran towards her car, which was parked a couple houses down, followed by Rachel. Once they were inside with the doors locked, Rachel decided to ask "What do you want to show me?"