four

I physically and mentally cannot understand if this storyline is atrocious or if I'm just mentally ill, it could be both tho.

Yet another late night I spent in the office, the last paper, the last interview until it was morning and I had a flight to catch. It's been a month since the case and all I could do was wallow in my work that my colleagues were happy to give over to me.
"Hope you enjoyed flighting with us," I walked past the flight attendant at the front of the plane, nodding to her words as I walked toward the exit as fast as my feet could carry. I slept the entire flight, redeeming all those late nights I didn't close my eyes. 

I breathed in fresh air as I walked outside "Vera!" a familiar voice yelled from the pickup section where cars drove slowly, waiting for their person.

"Thanks for picking me up," I sat down on the cushion, giving Derek a side hug before he started driving away.

"Anytime," He smirked. Emily couldn't pick me up so she sent the next best option. "You liking it here so far?" He asked, glancing at me.

"Yeah, I think so," I tapped my burgundy nails against the seat, "I mean it's a bit awkward," I laughed lightly, straightening my back.

"I'm sure you'll be fine," he comforted, turning into a parking lot near some apartments.

"damn so quick?" I asked shocked, unbuckling my seat.

"Yes, that's why I agreed to drive you," he winked, "you should come out for drinks with us," He said as I got out of the car, getting my luggage out the back.

"for sure, thanks again," I smiled waving him bye as I walked into the building. I knew her room so I walked a few steps, in wonder as why she was home yet couldn't pick me up.

"Hello?" I knocked lightly on the door, hearing shuffling from the other side.

"It's open," She yelled.

"oh wow," I burst out in laughter as I neared the kitchen, a burnt chicken sitting on the stove and a distressed Emily waving a towel around the smoke.

"I wanted to make us dinner," she winced.

"we can always get takeout," I smiled.

"oh that's Sergio," she said as a little kitten ran next to my leg, rubbing its fur against me. "he really likes people I guess," She said tiredly from all the cardio of jumping with a towel.

"come on, show me around," I commanded, putting my bag on my shoulder and walking behind her.

"And this is where you'll be staying," She showed me a guest room, a plain yet chic style. I settled in, chatting with Emily as the sun set and our takeout was soon to be delivered.

"Can I ask you something?" Emily turned to me as we both bit into our pizza.

"Mhm," I wiped my mouth, waiting for the question.

"Why did you leave?" Her question kept me stunned for a minute, looking everywhere but her face.

"You know how mom is," I said, uttering the word mom for the first time in a while, feeling as if I said it wrong as if dust came out my mouth when I did. 

"I mean you could have done what I did and just move out or go to college, but you moved across the country Vera," Emily seemed to get more emotional, which was weird to hear again. 

"I'm here now, am I not?" I walked to the fridge, getting a bottle of water to escape her stare yet it followed me there. 

"Did something happen that I'm not aware of?" She asked carefully, dancing around the conversation on floating clouds.