Chapter Forty-Nine: Bosses

Lazula wanted to be back in Jashin with her dresses and parties. Especially in the private gardens in the Governor's Palace. Though she hardly remembered them now. It was like they were a far-off memory or a dream she was trying to recall. But the dream was gone.

Still, that was at least fun.

Instead, she was going through the portal behind some teenager going rogue. Walking with her blue vest and shirt, she missed her old outfit. What was that dominatrix girl's problem anyway? What was one destroyed city anyway? Cities get destroyed all the time in this kind of place.

"Ugh, going through these outdated portals is a nightmare," said Lazula. "I guess proper channels exist for a reason."

Entering, she was pleased to see the guards standing by. They had pretty nice, well-polished uniforms, and their weapons were clean. So, they knew a thing or two about being ready for combat. Judging by their sneers, they weren't exactly professional about all this. Well, that made them easier for Lazula to use.

"Welcome, Representative Lazula," said the guard. "We were not informed you would be coming through here."

"Neither was I until a bit ago," said Lazula, remembering why she'd been picked for blonde and blue eyes. She'd need to get a new outfit here, though, if only to replace the one she had. Maybe she should alter her body, too. "I'm here to inquire about some recent transit through this portal. Did anyone come through here? A big serpent folk about this high and a college student?"

"I remember those two," said the guard. "They were uppity."

"Great, whatever. Did you detain them?" said Lazula, not all that interested. What did they mean by 'uppity' anyway?

"They were messengers from High King Relma, I think," said the guard. "Said there would be problems with the negotiations if we couldn't pass. They had the royal seal from Harlenor Reunited, and it all checked out."

Lazula sighed and remembered the other reason she was here. You'd better get it over with. "Great. I've got some instructions for you from Prince Schezar. Take this; I'll be in touch."

The man took them.

"Did they say their business?" asked Lazula.

"They said they had a message for the Demoration Ambassador, I think," said the guard. "They talked with the secretary out there on their way out.

"Last we saw of them."

"Alright, I guess I'd better go get them then," said Lazula with a sigh.

"Are they criminals?" asked the guard, sounding a bit eager.

He hadn't roughed them up, had he?

That could cause Lazula some severe headaches if he had one. The last thing they needed was a lawsuit. Were they liable for this?

"No idea," said Lazula. "Something to do with something secretive. The usual black ops stuff. Don't ask inconvenient questions and take your paycheck."

"Yes, ma'am," said the guard.

Lazula walked through and immediately downloaded schematics of the building. She took the fastest possible route to the mall at the fastest pace she could find. All without attracting attention, she got to the clothes store. Priorities were a thing, and Dakan had gotten her outfit wrecked anyway.

Finding it, her gaze scanned the whole thing and found a set of clothes she liked. Now for appearances.

"Excuse me, is there anywhere I can get a change of clothes," said Lazula, an officer. "This is my spare, and I don't want to wear it out."