𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

┏━━━━⋆。゚☁︎。⋆☾ ゚。⋆━━━━┓

SMOKE N MIRRORS

AUGUSTINE WANTED PEACE, AND SHE HAD FINALLY GOT IT WHEN SHE SAW A LACK OF WOLF SHIFTER PRESENT AT THE CREEK.

Come to think of it, she hadn't recalled a time where she wasn't actively being watched by a wolf from the opposite side of the creek. There was always a looming presence around, sometimes it would hide as though she couldn't literally hear its inhumane breaths and rumbles.

But not that day. It was her first time back to the spot in the woods that she claimed was hers ever since she found out that someone up above paired her with an aggressive dog. She couldn't face the humiliation or belittlement any more, so she stayed her distance like that man wanted. Only, in seeking an escape, solitude, from the events unfolding at the Cullen residence, her feet led her to the creek.

Picking out a tree, she plopped herself onto the dirty ground and pushed her back against the spruce wood. She pointedly did not look beyond the creek that belonged to the shifters, rather choosing to focus on the ground around her.

Augustine never thought she would tire of her supernatural senses, mostly because she couldn't think of ever not having them at her disposal. She watched as a colony of insects migrated towards the creek, watched the grains of dirt fall from her fingertips as she picked up a clump, and held back from sticking her entire palm into the rough earth.

Still, she fidgeted with a small stone she reached for beside her and envisioned what she had planned for the evening. If all went well at the house, if Bella surpassed everyone's judgment (and by everyone, she meant Rosalie), Augustine wished for a celebratory puzzle-building night between her and the confines of her bedroom.

First, she had to write her weekly letter to the Denalis. Her letters had gotten shorter as of late as she grew tired of answering their questions about the whole mate ordeal — an ordeal which Carlisle told them about before she even got the chance to put ink on a page to send to Alaska. Carmen especially wanted to know everything and anything about the wolf, which made Augustine want to write about literally anything else. It was clear the others hated wolves, what with being natural born enemies and such, but Carmen couldn't help it; finding your mate was always exciting news.

Except, it filled the younger girl with anything but excitement just thinking back on that day.

Most of her recent letters consisted of, 'how's the weather up there, guys' as if the cold weather was gruesome to them and, 'has Kate electrocuted anyone lately' as if the blonde vampire was going around doing so as a mere hobby.

Augustine found herself snapping from a  daydream as she heard a soft clicking sound. Turning to the rock she was spinning around in her palm, she realized that it was in fact not a rock— instead, a plain looking black pen was within her palm and it seemed as though the noise had come from its cap flicking off.

Her eyebrows furrowed, amber eyes nervously searching for the rock that she was sure was in her hand. She sure as hell hadn't brought a pen to the woods, and she dropped it from her grasp as though it burned her. She hoped that if she blinked, it would magically turn back to the rock she just had, but to no avail.

As she stared at the pen that was laying before her, its cap disguised underneath some fallen tree leaves, the sound of gravel crunching rang out.