𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

┏━━━━⋆。゚☁︎。⋆☾ ゚。⋆━━━━┓

UNFORTUNATE SETBACKS

IT HAD BEEN WELL OVER A YEAR SINCE THE INCIDENT IN ALASKA, and a year was all it took for history to repeat itself, it seemed.

Augustine started shaking in place, eyes locked onto the finger Bella had pricked while the empath next to her had an absolute conniption— one like she'd never seen from him before.

Jasper instantly dove forward, only to be intercepted by Edward who read his thoughts. In doing so, Bella went flying behind him as he tried pushing her away from the chaos, and the force of Edward pushing the other amber-eyed vampire sent him into the piano.

At the sight of a large amount of blood now gushing from the human's arm, Augustine snapped into action when Jasper tried lunging forward. And soon, the newest vegetarians had their sights set on one thing and one thing alone: Bella.

Emmett and Carlisle were quick to grab them both, their eyes the same shade of charcoal black that indicated their sudden and apparent thirst.

Augustine could barely register the voice in her ear, comforting in a way that a mother would calm an upset child. "Augustine— hey, look at me. It's alright—"

A body in front of her, blonde hair and nervous gold eyes peering at her from a face she should've recognized but couldn't. She was hearing the chatter, seeing movement around her, and none of it was registering in her mind. Even when she thrashed against someone's hold, even when that someone had pulled her outside of the house, she was erratic.

It was only until someone steered her far away from the home, deep within the forest, that the haze in her mind seemed to clear and her head no longer felt like it had been stuffed with cotton.

Blinking back to consciousness, she didn't bother looking around her because she found Rosalie standing before her. The older vampire still had her hands firmly on the girl's shoulders, observing the way Augustine's eyes were still a midnight black. "Are you okay?"

The events of the party rushed back to the forefront of her mind, her throat aching at the mere scent of Bella's blood that was lingering in her mind. It was all-encompassing, and it made dread settle in the pit of her stomach. "I've gotta tell Bella how sorry I am, Rose, before she—"

Bella and Augustine had made great headway in terms of their friendship, and the last thing she wanted was for Bella to think she was some volatile monster. But perhaps she was if she was that quick to jump at the chance to consume the girl's blood.

The blonde was quick to cut her off. "You have nothing to apologize for," she said, a hand leaving her shoulder and reaching to brush the top of the younger girl's head. "It's normal to have a slip up. You're young, you still have so much time to learn and—"

"I almost killed her," Augustine growled out, suddenly not enjoying how the vampire across from her was downplaying the incident. A shiver ran down her spine at the repercussions of the evening. "Shit, I would've killed her. I wanted to."

Even just thinking of it, her blood, made Augustine reel away from Rosalie's touch. She all but clawed at her throat, trying to soothe the sudden ache she was feeling. "I wanna be alone." Rosalie went to speak, most likely to suggest that leaving her alone was anything but the right idea, but Augustine's temper rose. "Leave me alone, Rosalie."

Rosalie nodded, face steeling itself at the harsh tone she got from the younger vampire. She couldn't be mad at her seeing as she once had to deal with setbacks like this, too. "I'll check on you later," she responded, and within an instant was gone from view.