Chapter 33

Flashback

Ah, yes. The feeling of getting tossed away and left out after you've done so much for them. Best feeling, isn't it?

None of the kids in the orphanage likes her.
Her friends always would end up the opposite side than her.

"And you're siding them?!"

"No matter how you look at it, you're the one at fault!"

"Even though they're the one who started it?!"

They act like they're all in a more higher rank than her. But what difference does it make?

They're all kids without a damn home.

"I see why your parents left you now."

'Don't act like you're any better than me.'

Only the strong ones live in this world. And only the strong ones will be the one last standing at the top.

'If that's the case, then I'll protect her no matter the cost.'

She swore in this rainy night.

Even if I won't get acknowledged... Even if I work in the dark, behind the scenes... I'll surely protect them...

To protect her.

.
.
.

Flashback two days after Kazutora got arrested

"Mei, you there?" Rian knocked on Mei's bedroom door. There was no answer.

"Mei, I know you're in there! And you don't sleep till' this late!" It's already 3 in the afternoon. As her older sister, she knew that Mei would sleep and also wake up early everyday.

"I'm coming in. The front door wasn't locked, so..."
She pushed the door open, to see that Mei's room was dark. The curtains weren't opened, the floor was dirtied by books and papers all over. And Mei covered herself with her blanket, not willing to face Rian.

Rian sighed to herself seeing this. She knew that Mei was usually clean.
"Come on, Mei. Get up already."

No response.

Rian grabbed on the curtains and pulled it open, making the sunlight shine into the dark room.

"Look at you, all messy and everything." She started lecturing as she pulled off the blanket over her sister, to see her hair all over her face.

Rian's heart broke after noticing her swollen eyes from maybe crying. And the dark circles around her eyes for not sleeping. She still has bandages all over her face and body, the injuries from the fight.

She get it. Her best friend just got arrested for killing. And she couldn't even do anything for him.

"I get that you're sad, but this is—" Before Rian could make her way beside Mei's bed, she hissed out of pain after stepping on something sharp.

Looking on the floor to see what had she stepped on, only to realize that the photo of Mei and Kazutora was on the ground, the glass all shattered. How funny, both of them were all wounded, but smiling so wide.

Looking at her foot, it's bleeding from the glass she stepped on.

"Mei, you—"

"Could you shut the fuck up already?"

Rian's eyes widened, dumbfounded at what she just heard from her sister.

"Ah?"

"Donate your ears if you don't need them, I said shut the fuck up. Stop nagging like you're my mum."

Rian was so speechless. She never thought that Mei would reply to her like this after two days of closing herself in.

"I'm just worried bout' you—"

"Oh, you're just here to see how  pathetic of a friend I am, aren't you? Can't save a friend from getting arrested, making escape routes for enemies and even failing."

"That's not what I—" For the first time, Rian didn't know how to reply someone. Mei's being emotional.

"Oh, just fuck off. For 10 years of us being separated. 10 years, Rian. And you aren't even making an effort trying to find me, aren't you? Bet you're having so much fun with your other friends."

"Mei!"

Rian yelped, loud enough to make Mei stop talking.

"You've gone overboard."

Rian left with this sentence of hers. Stepping outside her room, slamming the door shut. A trial of blood was left on the floor while she's walking outside the place.

"... Tch."

It was a week later when Rian contacted Mei once again to visit on Kazutora.

"So, you good?" She asked Mei who just came out of the gate, meeting up with Kazutora.

"Yeah."

"Wear your scarf properly, dumbass." Rian said, adjusting the scarf that's hanging on Mei's neck.

"It's a bit hot man."

"It's better than you catching a cold."

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.