Sickness

It was all Subspace's fault, this is all on him.

That damn demon was no good from the start, always cackling about taking over the world or killing his worst enemies. He deserved to die alone and rotting, but no one would've expected him to take it to this intense level.

"If I rot, I make all of you rot with me!" he cackled, like a madman, smiling, with half of his face half raw and pink. He's been rotting from the start, half dead, yet still thirsty for vengeance against his most sworn enemy. Medkit. The young demon stood his ground, glaring at Subspace with his one teal eye. Yes, Subspace tore out the other, the two were sworn enemies, but they weren't like that before.

They used to be partners, wanting to use science to change the world, at least, Medkit wanted to. Subspace had his own plans, wanting to make the demons he hated suffer. "Subspace! You're going crazy!" yelled Medkit, loading his checkered gun. His med kit hung from a hook on his belt. He was going to need it. Subspace just laughed, forming a neon pink square in his hands. He smiled, or grinned...? Whatever it was, it wasn't a good sign.

"Watch me. I'll doom all of you with my same fate."

(5 Months Later)

Medkit paced his office, he was smart and intelligent, probably the most smartest out of everyone here, so why couldn't he figure this out? He rubbed his chin, trying to think of what he would need for a cure. It was never hard to find a reverse for Subspace's "experiments" but I guess this time, he wanted to be a huge pain in everyone's ass.

Medkit grumbled. "Would I need some sort of plant...? A flower of healing effect...?" In a scenario that he would, he couldn't. The only person who knew about ever single plant was Vinestaff, but she disappeared weeks ago, and hasn't been seen since. Was she at Blackrock? Or maybe hiding out in the Banlands? I would've gone and disappeared too, thought Medkit. This was an apocalypse, not that anyone would wander outside happily and say, "Yay!" Well, excpet for Banhammer.

The powerful warden was just coming down for the daily Phight, like everyone else until someone bit another, then they all mutated. Medkit shivered. He didn't like that gruesome memory one bit. The blood, the mutating, even some of the screams from his friends as pandemonium broke out across the arena. Banhammer, of course, swept in and tried to fight off as much mutants as he could.

Medkit admired the warden's courage and strength, not like he couldn't build any of that up himself, he just preferred research, and staying inside. Medkit sighed, looking out of his window. There was nothing to see really, except for the sight of burning buildings and dead corpses on the ground as the undead wandered around them. Medkit's stomach ached, and his eyes were droopy, he should've went to bed, but each moment that passed when he wasn't working, someone else was dying.

Medkit took Wake-Up pills and coffee to keep himself awake. Would it give him a heart attack, maybe. But he needed to make this cure, and he wouldn't rest until he did. There was a few knocks on his door, familiar heavy knocks.

"Hey Doc! It's me!" called Banhammer's voice from the other side. Medkit's deer-like ears perked up and he walked over to his door, limping a little. Medkit, nearly sleep-deprived, walked over to his door, not even realizing the ladder foot in front of him, he tripped, and something smashed on his deer hoof, well, more on the ankle area but it burned and he yelped.

"Doc, are you alright? I'm coming in!" Banhammer cried, opening Medkit's door, bonking him in the head with it. "Ow! Watch it dummy!" Medkit exclaimed, rubbing his sore forehead. Banhammer looked down at the deer demon, nervously smiling, "whoops, sorry about that! You okay? I heard you yelp..."

Medkit tried to get up, placing his right ankle on the ground, but the pain was more intense as he moved it, making him yelp and fall again. Luckily, Banhammer caught him, "Doc...? I think maybe you should rest that ankle and yourself for a little while, you don't look good... at all..."

Medkit huffed, "I'm fine Banhammer, I don't need rest, what I need is to get this damn cure made! And another cup of coffee..." Banhammer looked down at the tired doctor, frowning. He took of his blindfold, his four purple eyes burning into the doctor's back. "No, you need to get into your bed, your ankle looks sprained and you look like you're going to be put into the grave soon." Medkit scoffed at the warden's remark, limping over to his table. "Yeah right..."

"I'm serious Medkit, you look awful, no offense," said Banhammer, "I'm taking you into your bed now, don't fight me, not like you'd win anyways," Banhammer rolled his eyes while he said the last part, picking up Medkit bridal style. Medkit huffed, but didn't try to fight the warden as he tucked him into bed like a mother would. Medkit knew about Banhammer's secret. He'd see him sneek out at night, looking for someone ever so dear to him. His mother, Windforce.

Vinestaff was not the only one missing unfortunately, plenty of others were gone. Either missing or infected, but hopefully mostly missing. Banhammer would always mimic Windforce's motherly instincts in some sort of fashion. Either in cooking, or telling a story to the others to calm them, or tucking them into bed and watching them until the were asleep. That was anther thing Medkit admired about the Warden, he wasn't always so aggressive or mean, he was a softie at heart. A big one at that.

"You stay here and rest, and I'll check up on you later okay?" said Banhammer, after he finished tucking the doctor into his bed. Medkit rolled his eye, but nodded. Banhammer smiled, "good!" and left Medkit's room, turning off his light. Medkit almost fell asleep immediately, he'd been up for days, if not weeks. He thought about Vinstaff, and Windforce, and Banhammer, but those thoughts didn't last long.

He just wanted to close his eyes and drift off.

Maybe the cure could wait...