Great Piles of Coal

Percy was worried. He had been tasked with delivering coal to Great Waterton. This was to be a regular evening job for him for the foreseeable future even though he already had a lot to do every day.

"What's wrong, Percy?" Thomas would say whenever he saw him.

"I'm put upon, I'm put upon!" Percy would reply, sounding more stressed out each time he said it.

Thomas could do nothing but sigh and worry. He wanted to help his friend but he didn't know how. Percy's workload was up to The Fat Controller.

Percy would go to and fro as quickly as he could but his quickest speed was never fast enough. In fact, it was getting slower. As Percy grew more and more tired, he would complete his work later and later.

One day, Percy was busier and more tired than ever. He had to pull Emily's passenger train before he could start delivering the coal.

When he reached Maron Station, Hank and Henry were both waiting there.

"Oh boy," said Hank, "I'm takin' over this train and it looks like I've got a tough act to follow. You're right on time, Percy!"

"Pah," scoffed Henry, "that train is usually early. Percy looks like he can barely even move. I do hope Emily will be back soon because I can't afford to be late!"

"You crawl along like a big green caterpillar yourself," wheeshed Percy with a grin on his face, "and let's not forget the times before your rebuild when you were still struggling on regular coal."

"You look like you could use some special coal," huffed Henry.

Percy sighed. He had been uncoupled from his train. He pulled out of the station.

"I might be tired," he said quietly to himself, "but I can't let everyone down."

Percy puffed along, preparing for his long, difficult journey. He was panicking at the thought of all the people at Great Waterton being cross with him. He knew, however, that he wouldn't do his best work while panicking, so he tried his best to calm down.

As he steamed into the coaling plant, Percy struggled to keep his cool. Many trucks had been shunted into place for him (so many that he would have to make at least three trips).

"Why does Great Waterton even need this much coal?" he fumed.

Having no other choice, Percy buffered up to the first lot of trucks. Just as he did, Mavis entered the coaling plant.

"Hello Percy!" she said, tooting her horn, "How are you?"

"Fine," Percy huffed.

Mavis asked Percy what was wrong but he wasn't really paying attention. He couldn't bring himself to focus on anything but getting his job done.

"Percy," said Mavis, more firmly, "what is going on?"

Percy sighed and hurriedly told her about all the work he had to do.

Mavis felt sorry for Percy.

"Why not let me help you today?" she said, "I have some time to spare!"

"No thank you, Mavis," Percy said, already pulling away, "I'll do it on my own like I'm expected to."

Mavis could only watch helplessly as Percy toiled away with no help from anyone.

Percy rolled wearily along. He was taking the most direct route he knew.

Suddenly, he heard a whistle not too far behind him.

"Percy!" Hank yelled.

Percy had nowhere to turn. He surged forwards, the trucks clattering behind him.

Hank was getting closer and closer. His breaks screeched but he was going too fast to stop in time.

Percy's pistons pumped. He flew along the line at the fastest speed he could manage. He blew his whistle loudly, hoping that would be enough to prevent himself crashing into someone up ahead.

All of a sudden, Hank bumped into the back of Percy's train. Percy felt himself jolt forwards. He was sliding along the line at a greater speed than he'd ever gone before.

Hank finally managed to slow down a little but the momentum kept Percy going forwards. Percy's driver was doing his best to slow him down as safely as possible.

Gradually, Percy felt himself come to a complete stop.

"That was horrific!" he gasped.

A few minutes later, he had delivered the first lot of trucks. The Fat Controller had been told everything over the phone and had sent for another engine.

"Well, Percy," peeped Hank cheerily, "I would love to help you out a little but I've got a lot of work of my own to do. These passengers aren't gonna get where they're goin' by themselves!"

Percy waited. Luckily, the wait didn't last long.

"Percy!" said Mavis as she arrived at the station, "I told you I could help. You should have let me."

"I'm sorry, Mavis," wheeshed Percy sadly.

"No time for that now," Mavis replied with some gusto, "we have work to do! Let's take the rest of the trucks in one go. I'll be the back engine."

The two engines hurried back for the rest of the trucks. The load was a little heavier than either of them had expected but they didn't have time to complain.

In no time, the two engines had delivered the rest of the coal. Percy gave a big sigh of relief. His work was done.

The Fat Controller had arrived just before the two engines had returned to the town. He spoke to Percy.

"You only narrowly avoided a serious accident," he said, "I know you've had more work than usual today but that's no excuse to be careless."

"But Sir," said Percy suddenly, "Will I have to do this job again? I can't keep relying on help from other engines who are also always busy."

The Fat Controller pondered. Deep down, he knew Percy was right.

Suddenly, he had an idea and rushed off to find a telephone.

Not too long after, Billy arrived at the station.

The Fat Controller said to Billy, "I hear your work on the Little Western was good. Percy here has been working too hard lately so I need another engine to take over his job of delivering coal to this town."

"I would love to do that job!" Billy said with no hesitation.

"Then that settles it," said The Fat Controller, "the job is yours."

Billy beamed with pride. He immediately left to blabber away to everyone about his special new job.

Percy smiled. He was more than ready to get back to his old self again. It was now his turn to blabber away to other engines. He hurried off to find Thomas.