Don't Go Back

Diesel and Mavis were shunting at the quarry when Thomas arrived.

"You're late," said Diesel with a smirk, "did you get lost?"

"No, I did not," huffed Thomas, "the track I'd normally take is closed for repairs. I know my way around this island better than you do!"

"Nonsense," snapped Diesel, "I could find my way to and from the quarry faster than you even if I went backwards for the whole journey."

"Well I don't have time for a race, Diesel," chuffed Thomas, "my delivery can't be late." He puffed away to find his trucks before Diesel could utter another word.

Diesel was deeply offended. As if he would suggest such a thing!

All the while he was shunting his own trucks, Diesel grumbled away about how insolent Thomas was. Mavis was getting quite annoyed because of it.

"Thomas' work is more important than proving himself to you," she said sternly, "you ought to take a leaf out of his book."

Diesel wanted to think of better things than competing with a steam engine. Hearing what Mavis had said, he felt worse than ever. He carried on working and refused to speak in case he wound Mavis up even more.

Soon, the two diesels had a long line of trucks ready to go. Diesel was coupled up at the front of the train while Mavis was coupled up at the back. They set off for Brendam Docks.

The two of them travelled along the track in silence for a bit, just taking in the scenery as it rolled by.

"So, how has the quarry been since I last came to work there?" Diesel asked, breaking the silence.

Mavis was glad to have a chance to talk about what had been going on recently. As the two of them neared their first hill, she started telling Diesel about all the tricks Bill and Ben had been playing on other engines when they should have been working.

"I know they don't mean any harm," Mavis said with a strained voice as she pushed the heavy train up the hill, "but you'd think they'd learn."

"Those two steamies wouldn't be fit to work without your guidance, Mavis," shouted Diesel. They were getting closer and closer to the top now and he was determined to make it. "They'd never stay on track...never get where they're going!"

Diesel reached the top. The journey was suddenly becoming much easier. Mavis gave a relieved sigh as she got the rear of the train over the hill.

By the time the two diesels reached the docks, they were laughing and chatting away without a care.

Diesel suddenly realised that Thomas hadn't delivered his trucks yet.

"Stinky steamies lose again," he laughed.

Mavis, who had been in a good mood for most of the journey, was irritated by this.

She simply said, "You'd think you would learn," and headed back to the quarry.

"Pah," snorted Diesel.

...

The next day, Diesel had lots to do. He couldn't stop to talk to anyone, diesel or steam engine, for too long.

As the afternoon approached, Diesel started his most difficult job of the day: hauling a passenger train from Wellsworth to Knapford. He wasn't used to pulling passengers and this particular train was quite long and heavy for such a small engine. Nevertheless, he was determined to do a good job.

He wasn't very far along his route when a strong smell hit him.

"Few!" cried Diesel, "Even a steamie couldn't produce that smell!"

However, a little further along the line, Diesel found out that the smell was coming from a steam engine; Whiff was in a siding and looked like he couldn't move.

Diesel needed to be on time but he knew Whiff probably had important work to do too. In that moment, he decided he would stop and ask the steam engine if he was alright.

"Oh, I'm in a good mood today, thank you!" chirped Whiff, "Although, I'm making some funny noises and I can't get enough steam. I'm not sure what's going on. I've only just stopped here."

"Do you have any more work to do today?" asked Diesel.

"Oh yes," replied Whiff, "there's always lots of rubbish to collect."

'Whiff can't be really useful until he's been to the repair yard,' thought Diesel. He didn't want to be late and look unreliable but he knew Whiff's work needed doing.

"I'll take you to the repair yard," sighed Diesel, "it's not too far from where I'm headed anyway."

Whiff was very grateful.

Diesel shuddered as he buffered up to what he thought must be the most stinky steam engine on Sodor. He wasn't going to enjoy this one bit.

Pulling with all his might, Diesel got Whiff out of the siding and onto the main line. He then started towards Knapford again, pushing Whiff and pulling his heavy coaches.

Diesel knew he was running late now. He pressed on, pushing himself to go the fastest he could go in the hope that he could make up for lost time. He was soon getting the feeling that he couldn't keep going at all but he kept going anyway.

After a while, Crosby Station came into view. Diesel had to make a stop here.

Everyone on the platform was disgusted by the smell as Whiff and Diesel came to a stop near them. Lots of them held their noses. Some were coughing. A few were even complaining about how scruffy the two engines pulling their train were. This was worst of all for Diesel.

Reluctantly, passengers boarded the train.

"Ho ho," laughed Whiff, "people do complain about the silliest things."

Diesel thought it was no laughing matter and got moving again without a word.

After what felt like an eternity, he finally got his train to Knapford Station. Somehow, he had arrived on time.

"Nice work, Diesel!" chuffed Whiff, "Now, how far is the repair yard from here? I would love to get working again."

"Not far," panted Diesel.

The Fat Controller was nowhere to be seen. In fact, the only people who could be seen working on the platforms at the moment were porters.

"Excuse me," said Diesel to a porter, "can you get a message to Sir Topham Hatt?"

Whiff started babbling away about his problems and how they were stopping him doing his work and how Diesel was the only reason he would even make it to the repair yard.

Diesel was flattered by the praise from the smelly steam engine. He was a little too tired to thank him properly, though.

The porter looked very bemused. As he started walking away, Diesel suddenly felt he had the energy to speak again. What he had to say was very important.

"Whiff's work needs doing urgently," he said, determined not to smile mischievously, "I think Thomas is the only available engine who would know what he's doing. Send for him."