Duncan and the Hot Air Balloon

It was the Percival twins' birthday and they were very excited. It was getting warmer and everything was coming to life again. They wanted to get outdoors and have an adventure.

Duncan was looking forward to today too. He had never given the twins their birthday ride before and he was hoping that The Thin Controller would choose him this year.

However, when The Thin Controller came to see Duncan, he had a very different job for him.

"The twins are having a hot air balloon ride this year," he said with a smile, "and I would like you, Duncan, to collect the balloon from the transfer yards and bring it to my house by 11 o'clock this morning."

Duncan was flabbergasted. He left for the transfer yards without saying a word.

He complained all the way there and all the way to The Thin Controller's house.

"My one chance stolen by a balloon!" he huffed.

The twins were very excited when they saw the balloon. When he saw how happy they were, Duncan couldn't keep complaining.

"I hope ya enjoy yerr ride," he peeped half-heartedly. Then, he puffed away to do his regular jobs.

Later, as he reached Crovan's Gate with his coaches, he spotted the balloon in the distance. The passengers all stopped and stared for a moment too; the balloon was quite the sight to behold.

Emily was also waiting at the station. She was doing her best to be patient but time was ticking.

"Come on everyone," she called, "we won't get where we're going if we stare at balloons all day!"

Everyone laughed except Duncan.

"I wasn't going to!" he huffed, "I don't care that much about the silly balloon!"

Emily was taken aback.

"What's your problem?" she fumed.

"Now now," said Emily's driver, "we don't need this kind of drama at this time of the morning...or any other time."

Duncan's fireman sighed, "Come on Duncan, we need to get going."

Duncan huffed. Today wasn't going well at all.

He grumbled all the way to the next station. His driver and fireman were finding him quite unbearable.

When he reached the next station, Duncan saw the balloon again. It was high in the sky by now.

"Hang on," whispered Duncan, "I see the twins. Where are the grown-ups?"

The twins were waving frantically at the people and engines below them. It suddenly dawned on Duncan what was going on.

"I bet they've messed about with that balloon and accidentally gone up in it by themselves!" he said to himself. Then, louder, he said, "We have to go after that balloon!"

"You and that silly balloon!" his driver scolded, "We're not going after it. You don't need to give the twins their ride."

"You don't understand!" cried Duncan. He quickly explained what he thought was going on.

His driver and fireman both peered up at the balloon.

"You might be right, Duncan," conceded his driver, "I'll quickly go and tell the station master to telephone for help just in case."

"There's not much we can do, I fear," said his fireman, "and we have got a train to pull."

As soon as his driver came back, Duncan set off once more. He now had to make up for lost time.

While he was travelling along the line, Duncan kept his eye on the balloon. He thought it was starting to come down but he couldn't be sure. Every time he passed an engine, he quickly told them about the danger and that they should watch the balloon too.

By the time he was at his final stop, Duncan couldn't see the balloon any longer.

"The trucks can wait!" he puffed, "We need to go and look for this balloon. The twins coulda landed somewhere and they might need help."

His driver and fireman agreed. Once Duncan was uncoupled from his train, he went to turn around.

He frantically looked around as he started to go back the way he came. He was trying to remember where he had last seen the balloon.

"I think it was over there, behind those trees."

"There's a track leading up to a farm right over there," said his driver, "maybe the twins landed in one of the farmer's fields."

They made their way towards the farm.

Even while his driver went to speak to the farmer, Duncan desperately scoured the fields for signs of the balloon or the twins. He couldn't find them quickly enough.

"I don't see them," he panted, having gotten quite worked up.

"Neither do I," said his concerned fireman.

"The farmer saw a balloon," called his driver as he ran back over to them, "but it did not land in any of his fields."

Just then, Duncan had a thought.

"Isn't there a lake somewhere around here?"

His driver and fireman sprang into action before even replying. The three of them left for the lake.

As they arrived, they spotted the balloon in the water.

"It's a good sign," said Duncan.

"Duncan!" cried both of the twins at the same time as they ambled over from the side of the lake. They were wearing life jackets and were soaking wet.

Duncan, his driver and his fireman all started cheering and whistling and laughing.

"We thought it would be safest to land in the lake," said Patrick, one of the twins.

"But we didn't think about how cold that water would be!" laughed Pansy, the other twin.

Everyone had a little chuckle. Then, once the twins had gotten into Duncan's cab, they all set off for the Percivals' house.

Duncan's driver and fireman noticed that the twins were shivering from having been in the lake. They decided to stop at a station on the way.

After a while, when the twins had finally warmed up and been lent some spare clothes by a surprisingly well prepared station master, they were all ready to go the rest of the way to the house.

"The service is incredible, I must say," joked Pansy.

"We'll have to do this again sometime," said Patrick.

"You two had better not end up nearly freezing in the lake again," said Duncan, pretending to be stern. This whole ordeal had been a bit much. He hoped they wouldn't get into trouble on their next balloon ride.

When the twins finally got home, The Thin Controller was elated to see them safe and sound. Mighty Mac, who had just made a delivery to the house and had been told everything, gave celebratory whistles.

"Well," sighed The Thin Controller, hugging his children, "I don't think we'll be doing that again. Sorry it all went a bit awry, my darlings."

"It's OK, Dad," said Patrick.

"We had fun anyway!" said Pansy.

"Still," The Thin Controller said, "I think a train ride would be good next year."

Duncan's eyes shone with anticipation.

"Ooh!" exclaimed Mighty, "Could we do that job?"

"Yes, we've never done that before! It sounds fun!" agreed Mac.

Duncan thought about this for a moment.

The Thin Controller interrupted his train of thought, "I think Duncan has wanted to do that job for a while now. Perhaps he ought to have his turn first?"

Duncan chuckled and puffed, "No, it's fine. Mighty Mac can have a go first." He paused, then added, "After all, I did just have to finish this birthday ride!"