Tram Trouble

The Fat Controller arrived at Tidmouth Sheds with important news.

"We have been preparing for weeks," he boomed, "and now, we are ready. A parade is to be held in Great Waterton to usher in the town's first winter since being restored!"

The engines were ecstatic. They hadn't expected another major event in the town until the following summer.

"As Toby found a long lost sign for Sodor Tramways near the town," The Fat Controller said, "he is to lead the parade alongside a new tram engine, who will be arriving today."

Toby was delighted.

James did his best to share Toby's happiness but he couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. Surely, a splendid red engine was just the thing for a parade?

Still, James knew he couldn't spend the day complaining. He had too much work to do. He started by picking up a huge, covered load on a flatbed from Brendam Docks and taking it to Great Waterton.

When he arrived at the town, he spotted the new tram engine. She was magnificent. Her cowcatchers and side plates had red paintwork even more splendid than his own coat of paint.

"Hello," puffed James, "I'm James."

"Oo, hello, James," responded the new engine in a soft tone, "I'm Flora. Pleased to meet you."

Flora buffered up to a line of empty trucks. She pulled as hard as she could but the trucks were having none of it.

"Hold back, hold back," they chanted.

Flora's eyes darted left and right. She looked worried.

"Do you need help?" an unimpressed James asked.

"Oh," wheeshed Flora, "um...yes please."

James sighed and went to buffer up in front of Flora.

"Be firm," he said, "or they'll never take you seriously."

He blew his whistle loudly. The trucks stopped chattering almost immediately.

Flora was impressed.

"To the coaling plant!" she peeped.

...

Soon enough, the two engines had arrived at the coaling plant and filled all the trucks with coal. Thanks to James, Flora was making good time. James, however, had his own work to do and was falling behind schedule.

'Why should I get in trouble just so that Flora can be on time to lead her parade?' thought James angrily.

It didn't help that every engine the two of them passed was admiring Flora; everyone was excited to meet the newest engine on the island. Barely anyone acknowledged James.

By the time they reached their third stop, James had had enough.

"You know what to do now," he huffed, "I need to go and do my own work."

Flora suddenly felt a little panicked. However, she was determined not to show it.

"Well," she huffed quietly, "if you have faith in me, so do I. Thank you for your help."

James gave a half-hearted whistle goodbye and started puffing back to Brendam Docks.

'I'd better get some credit for all this,' he thought, 'I've been working twice as hard as all the other engines today!"

When he finally arrived at the docks, a line of wagons full of bunting was ready for him. The dock manager tapped his watch.

"I was just about to telephone and ask for another engine!" he said in an annoyed tone.

James was fuming. He bumped the wagons.

"Harrumph," said the wagons, just quietly enough that James didn't hear, "he'll regret bumping us like that!"

Once he was coupled to his train, James tried to move forwards. The wagons held him back with all their might. James puffed harder. The wagons' wheels began to slip and slide. Before they knew it, the wagons were moving along the track.

"Oo, you're strong!" said the wagons in unison.

For the first time that day, James felt like a winner. He then realised that the wagons were still holding back.

"Stop holding back!" ordered James.

"Very well," the wagons said cheekily.

James realised his mistake too late. The wagons stopped holding back and started pushing him forwards.

"On! On!"

"Help!"

James thundered along the line. He was fast approaching a junction. His driver applied the breaks and his wheels screeched as he carried on along the track.

Just then, BoCo passed the junction from the other track, pulling a passenger train. James would never be able to stop himself before colliding with the train. The signalman made the split second decision not to change the points. He took off his coat and waved it at James and his train, shouting and jumping about all the while. James' driver and fireman took the hint and jumped clear.

James hit the unchanged points and thudded repeatedly on the ground as he derailed. The wagons nearer the front of the train were smashed to pieces, sending boxes of bunting flying.

Not too long after, Molly arrived with Rocky and The Fat Controller.

"I would've expected better from you, James," said The Fat Controller sternly.

James looked down in shame.

...

The parade was a wonderful occasion and James missed it. He sat alone in the repair yard all evening, sulking.

After the parade had ended, Flora and Toby came to visit James.

"I was sad to hear about your accident, James," said Flora.

"How was your day dealing with trucks?" asked James, who was desperate to change the subject.

"Flora ended up doing a good job with the trucks," said Toby.

"Thanks to you helping me, of course!" Flora said with a smile. Toby chuckled.

"How long did the wash down take?" joked James.

"She couldn't take too long, James," said Toby, "because she ended up doing one of your jobs after your accident. She didn't return to Great Waterton very long before the parade started."

Flora smiled, trying to meet James' gaze.

James suddenly felt very guilty for expecting some of the attention Flora had been getting. He stared into the distance for a bit before looking over at Flora again.

"Flora," he said slowly, "you did a great job today. You deserved to lead a parade, really."

"Thank you, James," Flora said, before whispering "I think you do too. Maybe you will next time!"

James smiled. He hoped this was a sign of things to come.