Twister

Molly was excited. A new passenger train was needed to take holidaymakers from the airport to some tourist spots on the island and she had been chosen to pull it.

When she went to the yard to collect her coaches, Gordon was there. She told him about her new, important job.

"Pah," snorted Gordon, "you must be out of practice after having to pull empty trucks all this time. Are you sure you can handle such a job?"

Molly was offended. She didn't like arguing with other engines but she felt she had to say something this time.

"You're only saying that because you think I'm not important enough for the job," she huffed, "I'll show you!"

She then steamed away before Gordon could even respond.

When she reached the airport, a huge crowd of passengers was there to greet her.

"I've never seen a yellow engine pulling coaches before!" said a boy on the platform.

"Isn't she beautiful?" said his little sister.

Once everyone was on board and the guard had blown his whistle, a very proud and determined Molly puffed out of the station.

Molly's route took her across the island to an area near the coast. She loved the salty sea air, the chorus of gulls and the hum of the happy holidaymakers.

'It is a little cold, though,' she thought.

At the terminus station, she met Thomas.

"Hello, Molly," puffed Thomas, "I see you've gotten away from the trucks for a while!"

"Yes," said Molly, "it's been wonderful taking the holidaymakers to and fro." She stopped for a moment before adding, "And proving I can do this job just fine!"

She went on to tell Thomas what Gordon had said to her earlier.

"Ignore him," said Thomas with a cheeky grin, "he probably said that because he was jealous of you and your grand train. It's more interesting than his express!"

Molly laughed. She did think her train was quite grand and the passengers seemed to agree.

At the end of the day when she had finished her work, Molly decided to pay Gordon a visit.

Gordon was impressed when she told him how smoothly her day had gone but when she told him what Thomas had said, his mood quickly changed.

"Everyone thinks they can do my job better than me until they actually try it," huffed Gordon, "I've pulled the express for years. I can do it better than anyone."

James, who had been listening in, puffed, "What advice do you have for the splendid yellow engine taking the spotlight off your express, oh mighty Gordon?"

Gordon, not missing a beat, replied, "To be careful at the terminus station near the coast tomorrow. A storm is coming and the wind is bound to get faster as the day goes on. What we don't want," he said, looking over at James, "is for her to spin around on the turntable like a top."

James, slightly astonished, spluttered, "Or to not be able to use the turntable!"

Molly stifled a smile.

'They'll never learn,' she thought as she puffed away, leaving the two engines to their bickering.

The next day, she went about her business as usual. She took as much time as she felt she needed to to do her job well. She steamed proudly along the line, confident in her own abilities.

However, the wind was starting to pick up. Dark clouds loomed in the distance. They would probably reach the island not long after the day had finished.

"Don't lose your hats!" Molly called to her passengers.

Late in the day, Molly reached the turntable. The wind was stronger than ever. She was trying desperately not to panic.

As she rolled onto the turntable, she kept thinking about what Gordon had said about James spinning around like a top. She didn't want that to happen and she knew if it did, she would be late getting her passengers home.

"I don't want to spin," she kept muttering to herself.

She rolled too far forwards to balance on the turntable properly. Then, she rolled too far back. She kept trying and trying but she just never got onto the turntable properly. Her thoughts were running wild.

"It's no good panicking, Molly," her driver said, "it's not doing you any good. It's nearly time for your train to leave."

"I'm going to be late!" cried Molly.

Without hesitating, she reversed back to the platform. She would just have to brave taking the train home backwards.

Just before leaving, she told the station master to telephone for help; she knew she couldn't get her train to its last stop on time in reverse.

The wind howled as Molly made her way along the track. She could see leaves flying past her and landing beside the track that was sliding away from her.

"Must get the passengers home, must get the passengers home," Molly rambled to herself. She fought hard against the feeling of worry in her boiler.

The first stop on her route back home was coming up in the distance. Molly puffed as hard as she could. She wanted this journey over with as soon as possible.

Slowly but surely, she trudged her way to the platform. Neville was waiting for her there.

"I'll take over from here, Molly," puffed Neville, "you go and get some rest. You've earned it!"

Once she was uncoupled from the train, Molly began her trek back to her shed, having not completed her own job. She dreaded hearing what the other engines would have to say in the morning.

...

Morning came sooner than Molly would have liked. The wind had died down a little bit but the sky was now cloaked in grey. Ashamed, Molly rolled into the yard for another day of doing what had been her favourite job.

Gordon smiled when he saw her.

"Well, Molly," he said, "I did warn you that the wind would be vicious."

"I'm sorry I didn't listen to you," she wheeshed, "I should have been more careful."

"Well," puffed Gordon, "we live and we learn. You might not be express engine standard yet but you put your passengers first and you fought on for them. That is commendable."

"I suppose I can pull more than just empty trucks after all, eh?" said Molly, perking up a bit.

Gordon huffed, then smiled once more.

"I suppose so," he said.

Although she had always known it, Molly was elated that everyone finally believed it.