Chapter Fifty: Knights of the Coin

Red was...

Seductive. William would admit it to himself.

It really was the only word to describe her. It was still there even if she kept Safara's power smoldering beneath the surface. And she was beautiful and perfectly willing to show it off. Narcissa and the others had kept looking at her all throughout the journey, and she'd taken it in.

All the more reason not to indulge.

"So, Guildmaster, why do you want to be alone so badly with me," said Red, drawing nearer than he was comfortable with.

"I told you the reasons, Red," said William, keeping his spear ready as they walked a path Red had chosen. "We have a lot of ground to cover and little time to cover it in."

"I guess I am a lot of ground, aren't I?" asked Red.

"You're very beautiful, Red," said William, not taking the bait.

Red seemed disappointed by the simple statement and crossed her arms. In fact, it seemed to annoy her. "Thank you."

"So is everyone else in this group," said Narcissa. "William, are you ever going to get that scar over your eye healed? You'd look better without it."

"It marks my first major achievement," said William.

"It ruins the symmetry of your face," said Narcissa, putting a hand over it. "Zigildrazia doesn't like scars. I'm sure I could find a ritual to smooth it out. We have those, you know."

"I had to fight a demon in a collapsing castle to get this scar," said William.

"I think it adds character, personally," said Casia. She and Sophia had caught up to William with a report on Relma's doings. Not that William had any plans on what to do about it.

"Superficial appearances are unimportant," noted Sophia. 

"Who do you think you are talking to right now, Sophia?" asked Red, eyes narrowing as she put a hand to her spear. "I am Safara. I think I know a thing or two about love and passion."

William highly doubted the former.

"Are you two through?" asked Narcissa.

"Yes, actually, Narcissa," said William as they tuned a bend.

"William," said Sophia. "There is something you should know. I heard an exchange between High King Relma and Ajax. They seemed to think that a conversation with Lord Dunmoore had done something. Finished Captain Vines.

"Do you know anything about that?"

"We don't know," said Red. "And frankly, we don't want to know. Don't clutter up a paying job with boring politics."

William saw Felix look at him and consider the angle to take. It was obvious that some kind of powerplay was going on. He wasn't particularly invested in it, but it might be relevant. "Did they say anything relevant to our present mission?"

"I think they want Rundas alive," said Casia.

Red sighed. "Fine then. I don't care either way. Any way we can spin this with Vines, William?"

William was pleased at the question. Red cared what his opinion was. "It will depend on what is happening with Rundas when we find him. But, we should try to keep him alive in a way that benefits our employer."

"Sounds good to me," said Red. "Is that the place, Felix?"

"Yes," said Felix from the shadows. He also had a spear and shield and was wearing linen armor and a cap. "That's where the mine operates. From the looks of things, our predecessor is already there."