Chapter 1

Julia's POV:

My head is killing me!

What happened last night?
I open my eyes to the sun just peeking
over the mountains. The open window
lets in warmth, and I just know in an
hour it's going to be hot. Vegas is like
that. Why on earth did someone decide
to put a city in the middle of the desert?

And that was before air conditioning. Seriously, what were they thinking? I slowly get out of bed to get my things, but when I look around, I notice I'm not in my room at all. Oh shit! I'm in his room. I look at the bed to see him still sleeping. Thank goodness for small miracles. I throw my clothes on and sprint to the door. Once I'm through, I close his door as quietly as possible. I'm safe inside my room as I lean my back against my door and heave a huge sigh of relief. I go over the itinerary from yesterday and try to remember what happened last night, but there's nothing. I don't remember a thing. Mr. Draven had a meeting at 8 p.m. and told me to wait for him to finish. I sat at the bar and sipped my Shirley Temple. Mr. Draven stumbled toward me, so I tried to help him, but I remember nothing after that.

Just then the alarm on my phone begins to chime. Our flight is in a few hours, so I need to prepare. I walk to the washroom and it's only then I notice my legs are weak and tired. My body aches in an area that has never ached before. No, no, no! No, it can't be. I didn't sleep with him! I didn't lose my virginity to my boss!

I rush to the full-length mirror inside the washroom and strip down. I take deep calming breaths as warm tears slowly trickle down my face. I turn back around and look at my reflection. What have I done? I look at my body and feel a disconnect. That's not my body. How could it be?

My alarm rings again bringing me back to the present. I always set 2 alarms because I hate mornings. I have to get a move on. I quickly shower and pack my luggage. Mr. Draven hasn't called me yet, so I know I must make sure he's prepared to leave. He has appointments when we return, so no time can be wasted. I arrive at his door and take a deep breath. We're both adults. It's just something that happened. There's no changing that. I knock on his door. "Mr. Draven?"

***

Fredrick's POV:

"Stop knocking. Ms. Lewis, get my suit ready and prepare some black coffee." I get out of bed to prepare for my busy schedule. My head hurts more than usual. I take a quick shower and shave. I wrap a towel around my nether regions in case Ms. Lewis is still in my room. That woman drives me mad. She's too beautiful to be real. She's like a pin-up brought to life.

My suit is laid out neatly just as it should be. I quickly dress and head out. Ms. Lewis has a travel mug prepared. Good. I think I'll keep her around. She's the first intern to actually be of use. The last three were all useless. I can't believe my assistant of 6 years decided to quit just to have a baby.

"Sir, your itinerary for the day?" she asks me like it's something we don't do every morning. I nod and take a sip of coffee. Just the aroma calms my aching head and settles my nerves. "Flight is at 8 a.m. We should arrive back by 5 p.m. You have a board meeting at 5:30. That gives you 2 hours for office work. You are scheduled to meet Ms. Cavanagh at 7:45 p.m. for dinner."

I nod and check my phone for emails. "Make sure my luggage is ready, call for my car, and make sure nothing gets left behind."

***

Julia's POV:

Okay. I guess sleeping with his assistant isn't a big deal for the high and mighty Mr. Draven. I do my job and get everything done quickly. I double check his room while he is lounging in the living area of the suite.

While he was in the shower, I tidied the bed. Sure enough, evidence of our night together lies between the sheets. What's done is done. There's no changing the past. I look at the bed again and sigh. I carefully comb through the room for anything left behind. I check the nightstand last. Inside the drawer is a black velvet box. I open it out of sheer curiosity. Inside is a beautiful diamond ring. Mr. Draven wouldn't be so careless as to leave something as exquisite as this.

I rush out to the living area. "Mr. Draven, this was left behind. I'm sure it's not intended for your luggage." I set the box on the coffee table in front of him. He nods while continuing to read his emails. He takes a sip of his coffee then looks at the table.

"That's not mine." He returns to his emails when there is a knock at the door. I allow the bellhop in and point out the various suitcases. I receive a text alert that the car has arrived.

"Sir, the car is downstairs." He stands up and goes to head out but stops. He takes the box and opens it. There is a look of confusion on his face. He places the box down and checks his phone.

"Ms. Lewis, check your business account."Okay...I pull up my bank account on my phone and show it to him. He looks over the list and returns my phone. He looks at his phone again and scratches the back of his neck. I know that move; he only does that when he's frustrated. He puts the box in his suit jacket and grabs his coffee before tucking his phone away.

"Let's go."

The ride to the airport is short and we make our way through the VIP area. His plane is awaiting our arrival on the tarmac. We buckle in and are ready to set off.

"Would you care for a beverage this morning?" the gorgeous blond stewardess asks.

"Nothing for me. Ms. Lewis, would you care for anything?" Mr. Draven's ocean blue eyes look my way. I realize how hungry I am. I haven't had a chance to eat anything "Orange juice, please. Also, can I please have a blueberry bagel with cream cheese and some grapes?" The stewardess nods and retreats.

"Ms. Lewis, did you enjoy your visit?"

I gulp. Oh no. Is he bringing up last night? Avoid it. Just pretend nothing happened. Don't make a big deal of it. If he wants to talk about last night, he'll bring it up.

"Las Vegas was exactly as it appears in movies. I was amazed."

His lush lips turn up slightly. "Did you enjoy your evening?"

I clear my throat. Like he doesn't know. I feel my cheeks flush as I swipe a stray hair over my ear. "I-I..."

"Your food, ma'am." The stewardess arrives with a tray and saves me from having to continue.

"Thank you." I look up. Mr. Draven has returned to his phone. He then pulls out his laptop and begins working. After eating, I pull out my laptop and begin working as well. The flight goes by quickly.

I'm at my desk reading the email from my school. Friday is the last day of my internship. Intern, my ass. I fulfilled the role as his assistant. It was the only position available when I applied for my internship at Draven & Baker.

My inbox chimes with a new email. I open it.

'Ms. Lewis. As your internship comes to a close, we are left with an open position for Mr. Draven's assistant. Mr. Draven is satisfied with your work over the last 3 months and would like to offer the position to you. Please respond with your resume to the HR department ASAP. Pay and benefits will be discussed at a later time. Thank you for your attention. -Mrs. Harvey.'Mrs. Harvey is Mr. Draven's personal secretary. She is a kind lady in her 40s. It's rumored that she makes 6 figures. Mr. Draven's assistant would make even more. OMG!

Mr. Draven's office door opens. He stops in front of my desk while looking at his cell phone. "I will be returning to Las Vegas in 2 weeks. Make sure everything is arranged. Perhaps a different hotel."

I nod. "Yes, sir. Any preference?"

Without looking up he answers, "None. I'm out for the day. As soon as you're finished, you may go."

Alrighty then. I begin searching online.

He doesn't wait for a response before heading to his private elevator. I search through the hotels and pick one at random then prepare to arrange his personal plane. He didn't tell me how long his stay would be, so I pull up his schedule. Of course, it's jam packed. I send him a text.

Me: Mr. Draven, your schedule is full for the time you plan to go to Las Vegas. When would you like to go and for how long? I will need to rearrange your schedule.

He instantly responds.

Mr. Draven: I will be staying for two weeks beginning Thursday. Clear your schedule as well.

I guess he assumes I'm taking the position as his assistant, but I have yet to decide.

____________________
Thank you so much for choosing my book. I'll be glad if you enjoy this book with me. Happy reading 🫶🏻
Tata