Chapter 7

I step out of the building, ready to hail a
cab. My work didn't take long, and I
finished my assignment "Hey, you!
You're Mr. Draven's assistant, right? I
need to see him, immediately." I look at
a tall, impeccably dressed, blond
standing in front of me, seeking my
attention.

I have Fredrick's shirt hanging over my forearm, with my phone in my left hand. My bag is slung across my shoulder. "Yes, Ms. Cavanagh, I'm his assistant. I'm sorry, he's not in the office. He has a business meeting across town and will not be returning today. Would you like me to give him a message?" I switch my phone to my other hand, ready to take a note.

She gasps. She forcefully grabs my hand and brings my ring closer for inspection. Her face is red in rage, she has a look of murder. "You! You're the bitch that stole him out from under me!" I jerk my hand out of her grip. I refuse to say anything. I'm not going to lie, and I don't want outsiders to know what we're talking about. Ms. Cavanagh goes into a tirade; "He chose a worthless, lowly assistant over me? Who the hell do you think you are? You better watch yourself. I'm not going to lose him to some skanky tramp. I have every intention of getting him back. He's mine!"

Did she really just threaten me? "Ms. Cavanagh, I think you'll find that, according to the law, he's mine."

Her eyes pierce daggers at me. "You bitch!" I see her hand raised out of the corner of my eye. I flinch in anticipation of the connection. Ms. Cavanagh's hand is caught in midair by a manly, bronze hand. "Shelby, what do you think you're doing? Why are you harassing my employees?" He effortlessly throws her arm back down.

"Darling, I can forgive you for your momentary lapse in judgment. I got the paperwork for you to fix this little hiccup. Just fill it out and we can still get married." She pulls a stack of papers as thick as a college textbook out of a gift bag.

"Shelby, I already told you it's done. There is nothing more to discuss." Three security guards step up behind Fredrick. It's an intimidating site. Shelby throws the bag of papers to the ground and storms away. I pick the bag up off the ground. "What are you doing?" Fredrick asks. I wink at him and walk over to a trash can. I drop the bag into the bin. The weight of the stack makes it sink straight to the bottom. I turn back around. He has a charming smirk on his face.

I smile at him, "Thank you for stopping her. What are you doing here? You're supposed to be across town."

He tilts his head toward his guards. "I got a message that Shelby was loitering around. I heard everything just now. What happened, how did she find out about you?"

I hold up my hand. "She saw my ring and freaked out."

He nods, "She snooped in my jacket pocket the other night. I'm sorry, I didn't want her to know who you are."

I shrug my shoulders, "Guess the cat is out of the bag now."

Fredrick wraps his hand around my waist, "I guess it is." He kisses me deeply. I'm breathless when he pulls back. "I have to get going." He tells me before he plants another kiss to my mouth. "Corey, see that Mrs. Draven gets home safely."One of the guards steps forward. He's a beefy, yet fit man with lightly tanned skin and a serious face. "Yes, sir. This way ma'am." Fredrick watches me as I walk away.

Corey leads me to a black Jaguar XJ, and its slick. He opens the back door for me. "Thank you," I tell him as I settle in.

He closes my door and gets in the driver's seat. "Where to, ma'am?"

I feel awkward being chauffeured around, but I give in. I tell him my address, then add, "You don't have to call me ma'am, I actually don't really like it.

He nods his head "yes miss," then drives off. Corey takes the scenic route. It takes an extra 20 minutes to get home, but I'm still grateful for the ride. I thank him again as I step out of the car. He only nods in response. He ensures I'm in my building before he pulls away.

***

Fredrick's POV:

I'm sitting in a very boring and pointless meeting. I've already decided against using this group for promotions, but they begged for one more chance to impress me, which they haven't. I fiddle with the new weight on my finger while I zone out. Julia's words to Shelby keep playing like a broken record in my mind. According to the law, he's mine. I smile thinking about her.

"Mr. Draven, we were tailed for a little while, but I lost them. Mrs. Draven is unaware of the situation. She is home safe now," Corey whispers so only I can hear him. I nod and he retreats.

I pull out my phone out of boredom. I notice I do this a lot lately.

Fredrick: What are you doing?

I wait for her reply. It takes longer than.

I hoped, but finally she responds.

Julia: I'm making cookies for the movers. What are you doing?

She really is a kindhearted person. She was even nice to Shelby when Shelby was being a shrew.

Fredrick: I'm sitting in a pointless meeting. What kind? Do I get one?

I wonder what else she can cook.

Julia: They're chocolate chip. I have never seen you eat sweets, lol. If it's pointless, why are you there?

She's got a point. I stand up. "This meeting is over. You have failed to impress me." I walk out without looking back.

I drive to Julia's place. I knock on her door and wait.

"Coming," she cries out. Not yet you're not. She opens the door, a look of surprise on her face. The aroma of fresh baked goods penetrates my senses. She steps back to allow me in. Boxes are neatly organized in a corner. "I thought you were in a meeting."

I shrug my shoulder, "You made a good point. It was a waste of time, so I left. Now where are these cookies?"

She steps in front of me, stopping me in my tracks. She unbuttons my suit jacket and glides her hands over my shoulders, removing my jacket. "Much better." She delicately lays my jacket on her sofa. She walks deeper into her apartment. I close the door and follow behind her.

Her kitchen is stacked with more boxes. She slides an airtight container in front of me as I sit at an island stool. "Would you like some milk?"

I pick up a perfect cookie. "Do I look like a child?" She crosses her arms in front of her chest and leans back against the counter. She's changed out of her work attire. She's barefooted with shorts and a tank top. Her legs look smooth and soft. Her glasses are off, and her hair hangs down past the middle of her back. She almost looks like a different person. Either way, she's still H-O-T. I take a bite. I look at the cookie in my hand, it's not overly sweet, it's soft and creamy in texture. It's still warm. Perfect.

"Well?" I look up at her. "They're pretty good." She rolls her eyes.

She pours a small cup of milk and pops a cookie into her mouth. I finish my cookie and grab another. "Pretty good, huh?" She raises her eyebrow daring me to contradict myself.

"I don't eat sweets." She laughs and shakes her head at me. She takes a sip of her milk and places it back down. I pick it up and drink down the rest. She puts the lid on her container and moves it away from me. I walk behind her while she's not looking. I grab her waist and lean against her. "Thank you," I whisper in her ear before I begin to kiss her neck.

I remember the mark she left on me earlier. I move down to her collar bone and bite down. Her head tilts to the side while I suck on her delicate skin. I look at the mark and am satisfied. "I'll see you tomorrow. The movers already know where to go. Good night, wife."

She turns around so she's facing me. She puts her hands on my chest. She stands on the tips of her toes and places a kiss to my lips. She pulls back "Good night, husband."

I run my fingers through her thick, dark hair not wanting to leave her. It's still early, but I know she has packing to do. I should help her, but I also have business matters that still need my attention. I kiss her again and force myself to pull away. "Call me if you need anything," I tell her as I pull my suit jacket back on. I kiss her one more time before closing the door behind me.

____________________
Happy reading 📖 🫶🏻
Chao