ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Ⅱ - ꜱʟᴇᴇᴘɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴇᴍʏ

༻✩༺

Celeste leaned against the tall window that showed the outskirts of the city lights, her breath fogging up the glass as she gazed upon the night skies

Celeste leaned against the tall window that showed the outskirts of the city lights, her breath fogging up the glass as she gazed upon the night skies . Raindrops raced down, mimicking the tears cascading down her cheeks. The familiar sounds of the city floated up - cars splashing, horns blaring out a disjointed melody. The city that never sleeps continued on, oblivious to the heartbreak unfolding stories above.
She took another shot of tequila, the liquid burning her throat.

Eyeliner smudged, leaving inky trails down her face, but vanity was not her concern. With a roll of her eyes, she rubbed her temples, vexed by the deception laid bare.

The image was seared into her mind - the lace panties she had found while cleaning underneath the bed, so obviously not hers, that's she tossed carelessly onto his pillow to his surprise when he came home.

After that, Celeste searched high and low for Derek's burner phone. A few calls confirmed her suspicions- the homies, the clientele, the side pieces. Naked pictures and locations to meet from numbers without names told the sordid tale. Derek's infidelity exposed for all to see. The contents made her sick to her stomach . It didn't take long to uncover the truth that she already knew in her heart - Derek had never been loyal.

Celeste hadn't realized how quickly she dipped out of that apartment, already on the road leading her to nowhere in particular. Images of the last few hours flashed through her mind. He had come back after days of his absence. The pleading look in his eyes quickly shifted to rage the minute she told him she wasn't going to take his shit anymore, threatening to leave this time - now that she finally caught him.

She shuddered as she recalled the dark, dangerous glare that came over him when she tried to leave. He had grabbed her, thrown her against the wall. She could still feel the sting of his hand across her cheek, knocking her to the floor. She was accustomed to the feeling; this wasn't his first time. Her hair fell over her face as she reached up to touch the tender, bruised skin. This was different than the other times - she sensed a frightening fury in him now.

He grabbed her hair, yanking her head back violently as she cried out, hoping the neighbors would hear her plea. But she didn't give up, fighting with all her strength until she broke free of his grasp. She ran for the door, his enraged shouts echoing behind her as she made it outside. Now here she was, miles away, trying to escape the terror of that apartment. Sobs racked her body as she drove aimlessly into the night, not knowing where she was headed, just knowing she couldn't go back there again. She gently touched her cheek, whispering to herself, letting the shock envelop her, "What the fuck..."

Intoxicated and lost in thought, Celeste suddenly makes a turn at a red light and finds herself on an exit off the highway. Wiping away warm tears with the back of her hand, she takes in her surroundings with careless disregard. Courageously turning off the engine, she is met with the heavy rain pounding against the window pane. Soaked to the bone, she remembers the fight that had taken place between her and Derek in the chilling rain, as he tried to forcefully pull her out of the car.